“Tabula Rasa” the M.O.V.E.D. annual student dance concert

MOVED annual student dance concert

MOVED annual student dance concert

Well it’s that time of the year again, the annual MOVED dance concert is almost here (Nov 20 & 21 to be exact!) and I can’t wait to get on stage and perform. However this time around as the current president of MOVED, I get to experience the producing end of things as well…

MOVED concert 2013 Photo courtesy of Brad McCree

Producing a dance concert is always an enjoyable and exciting headache. There are a multitude of tasks that need to be completed months in advance in order for a show to run smoothly. Renting affordable space, picking a theme, creating marketing, deciding on the show order, teching lights and music, rehearse, rehearse, rehearse…this list only scratches the surface! With so much to accomplish, it’s crucial to have a group of people willing to work together to get things done, that’s why I’m thankful for my e-board!

This year, MOVED has decided on the theme of “Tabula Rasa,” which in Latin translates to “blank slate.” Tabula Rasa is also known as the epistemological theory that individuals are born without any built-in mental content, and that their knowledge comes from experience, interpersonal relationships, and perception. As understood by John Locke, Tabula Rasa means that the mind of the individual is born blank, and it also emphasizes the freedom of the individual to author their own soul. Each choreographer is taking this theme of Tabula Rasa into their own creative process, and putting it on stage for an audience to see. It is so wonderful to be a part of a student-produced concert and dance alongside my cohort, the cohorts before me and after me, AND even some of our faculty!

It is crucially important to continue exploring our creative, performing, and dancing-selves as we learn more about who we are becoming as emerging dance/movement therapists. It’s so awesome that we are able to create yet another reason to perform during our time here at Columbia College Chicago, and I am proud to be involved in the production of this concert.

If you are able to, please come and witness some of our student’s fabulous work!
Nov 20-21st, 7:00pm at Hamlin Park Field House
Admission is FREE!