I Wanna Be a Producer!

I Wanna Be a Producer!

L to R: Kristopher, Saeedah, & Ryan

Some of Connor’s most talked-about blog posts over the last two years were his “Get Me the Producer!” and “The Latest Batch” posts that introduced the world to Columbia’s newest Graduate Producer faces.  To keep with the tradition, I am introducing you to 2014’s new first-year Creative Producers.  Their class hails from places around the globe—from Nashville, TN to Montevideo, Uruguay.  Along with the basics, each Producer told me a little bit about one of their favorite or most inspirational films and I can already tell that these folks are going to be making waves.  So without further ado… please welcome the Class of 2016!

#1 Kristopher Campa | Nashville, TN

Film: A Time to Kill

“Matthew’s performance, Samuel’s performance, Akiva Goldsman’s screenplay—It inspired me to want to be attached to good material, stories that do not try to solve issues, rather empathize with people, and produce memorable work.”

#2 Saeedah Cook | Jonesboro, GA

Film: American History X

“It presents you with a protagonist that is vile and that challenges your natural sensibilities but then the film works to gain your empathy in a way that isn’t too contrived for such a hateful character.  The whole view process is kind of painful, gripping.“

#3 Ryan Ecker | Freeburg, IL

Film: First Descent

“Being someone who enjoys snowboarding and other extreme sports, this film is my favorite.  I’ve always been interested in films that focus on these sports.  It was this documentary that really sparked my interest in filmmaking and creating visually intriguing films and documentaries.”

L to R: Katherine, Haley, Suzie

#4 Katherine Elmore | Atlanta, GA

Film: Edward Scissorhands

“Growing up as an introverted, artistic weird kid in the deep south, I might have related a bit too much with the protagonist of Edward Scissorhands.  The film takes the feeling of being an outsider in a close-minded society and makes the isolation larger, the world more overwhelming, and the situations much more extreme, and crafts it all into the ultimate outcast’s fairytale.”

#5 Kang Gao (Haley) | Beijing, China

Film: Artificial Intelligence

“I hope to create a significantly philosophical film like Artificial Intelligence but bring returns and even benefits on the investment. I used to have an idea for a sci-fi movie telling a story between a father and son based on my experience applying for Beijing Film Academy. In 2100, the earth is doomed because of extreme shortage of resources. It’s at this urgent time that planet X which can support for the human life is found. The only way to get to the planet is to pass a survival exam (like the exam in the movie The Hunger Games). A boy is in the exam together with his father, but only one can survive and get to planet X. How will the father sacrifice his life to save his child? How will the boy choose between failing and the death of his father?“

#6 Suzie Liang | China

Film: Ashes of Time

“All of my films are inspired by my observations of the natural world as well as imagination of historical and fiction reading.  I hope to transmit to my work with the focus on peace and tranquility of subjects and their relationship in life including plants, flowers, animals, graffiti, architecture and so forth.  I am very keen about presenting struggle, mystery relationship through exploring different color combinations.  The themes and styles of films I hope to make are homage to writer Keigo Higashino and filmmaker Wong Kar-Wai.”

L to R: Themba, Lauren, Jessica

#7 Themba E. Moyo | Manchester, England

Film: La Grande Bellezza (2013)

“‘The most important thing I discovered a few days after turning 65 is that I can’t waste any more time doing things I don’t want to do’, Jep narrates to the audience. La Grande Bellezza‘s themes of the complexities of old age, regret, and morality subtly lured me into the story. The film implements compelling characters, profound dialogue, a rousing score, and breathtaking cinematography as we peek into modern day Rome in this Fellini-esque film.”

#8 Lauren Nichols | Lansing, MI

Film: The Shawshank Redemption

“My favorite movie is The Shawshank Redemption. This is my favorite movie because it tells an amazing story and the aesthetics are absolutely beautiful. In addition, the theme of the movie is something I try to keep in mind in my personal life which makes it one of my favorites movies and a movie I would have been thrilled to produce or just be a part of in any way.”

#9 Jessica O’Brien | Hull, Massachusetts

Film: Passport to Paris

“The first time I watched that I saw the blooper reel during the end credits and every single person was laughing at one point or another. I was probably about 10 and they all looked like they were having so much fun and I decided right then and there that I wanted to make movies the rest of my life. Kind of a ridiculous movie to pick, but it’s basically the reason why I’m here today.”

L to R: Patience & Diego

#10 Patience Rector | Boulder, CO

Film: A Beautiful Mind

“Our flaws are what make us unique and worthwhile. We all have our own personal demons we have to fight with every morning when we wake up. This movie reminds me to wake up fighting, that my willpower is strong enough.”

#11 Diego Sardi | Montevideo, Uruguay

Film: The Pursuit of Happiness

“I believe that the human being is the source of the greatest and most marvelous stories thanks to his imperfect simplicity and the power of his will. That’s what I see in movies like The Pursuit of Happiness: the story of one of the countless unsung heroes that positively inspire us. I want to tell the kind of stories that help us to keep hope and make us realize that we are responsible for building a better place to live.”

So there you have ’em! The newbies.  I’ve only had about a month to really get to know some of these folks but I can tell these few things about them: they are ambitious, they are passionate, they are all incredibly unique, and they are ready to take on whatever the program here at Columbia throws their way.

As I write this, I am left wondering—if I could, what advice would I offer to myself a year ago?  I would tell myself to keep at it, believe in yourself as a storyteller—trust your gut and be strong.  Stick to your guns.  Maybe this advice can help the new class as they head into a year that will surely be a whirlwind for them! Good Luck, guys and welcome!