Columbia College Chicago Theatre Alum Directs ‘Picasso at the Lapin Agile’ March 16-17 at The Stage in Tel Aviv

Picasso

Columbia College Chicago Theatre Department alumna Amber Carey Gitter is directing a production of Steve Martin’s comedy Picasso at the Lapin Agile for The Stage in Tel Aviv, Israel.

Picasso 2

The play concerns a fictitious meeting between young Albert Einstein and Pablo Picasso at the legendary Paris art bar Le Lapin Agile. It was produced in 1993 by Chicago’s Steppenwolf Theatre, where Glitter saw it while she was a student at Columbia College.

Amber Carey Gitter

Amber Carey Gitter

“I direct plays that I like,” says Gitter. “I pick these plays because they have impacted me in such a way that I become so emotionally and intellectually attached to them–I want to direct them myself so my community can share the same (or similar) experiences that I initially had. Steve Martin’s Picasso at the Lapin Agile is that play. . . . It’s the play that explores issues we are still afraid to talk about: sex, alcohol, growing old and the fear of not succeeding. Even Einstein and Picasso had fears of not ‘making it.’ “

Picasso at the Lapin Agile will be performed March 16 and 17 at the Rozin Community Center in Tel Aviv. For more information, click here.