Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Hello Future Producers!

I am writing to you all the way from Atlanta, GA—I wasn’t kidding when I said I was a GA peach. I do have to apologize, I am very late on this post, with finals, films, and the holidays… its been a crazy month. But, shout it from the rooftops everyone, I survived the first semester of my Masters!

Christmas Break

Honestly, Christmas break went too fast this year.I was lucky enough to spend it in the warm, perfect weather of Atlanta with all my family and friends. I got to see all my old college buddies and both my niece and nephew—it was a holiday for the books, y’all. One of the most exciting things I got to do over the break was visit Northstar Haiti, the church and school my mother started in Port-au-Prince. She brought me along on the trip as a videographer (I know.. don’t laugh at the thought of ME holding a camera). With a Go-Pro strapped to my chest and a SLR around my neck, I captured as much as I could in the four days we were there. It was such a blast and a great way to kick off the new year doing something good.

New Year Goals

This upcoming semester is going to be jam packed with new projects. I’m currently producing two extra projects outside of my normal classwork, an MFA thesis (for a second-year Director) and a D3 (an undergrad project). I was drawn to both projects the second I read the scripts. One thing that I learned last semester was to only take on projects that you are passionate about. Since there is so much work to do as producer, you don’t want to stretch yourself too thin. My major goal this semester is time management.

I also just started a new (old) job working as a regional representative for Paramount Pictures. I interned for them during my undergraduate years at the Atlanta branch and wanted to get involved again in Chicago. This past month we have been promoting xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, The Rings, and The Space Between Us. Being involved in the marketing/PR side of film has always been something I’m interested in. Since I’m getting so much instruction on the production side of filmmaking, I wanted to expand my horizons with this internship. I’ll update you as the semester goes on!

I’m really looking forward to learning more as a producer and developing my own set of skills. I’ll keep you guys updated as thesis and my other projects get closer!