Staying in Your Lane

Staying in Your Lane

MFA Creative Producers with Professor Carolina Posse

As a Creative Producer, I often find myself following a very thin line between creative artist and passionate leader. I was initially drawn to creative producing because of my ability to effectively lead large groups of people and still maintain creative input into the project. HOWEVER, since gradating college, I have had to retrain myself how to “stay in my lane”.

What does that mean exactly? As many of you already know, the film world functions most effectively in a hierarchal system under one leader—the Producer. The Producer then hires other to help them make their dream come to life. Being the perfectionist that I am, I often struggle to let others handle the work that I feel I should be doing.

But that is the great thing about Columbia, people WANT to work on your films and projects. If your script is great, they will be passionate about helping make your film become a reality. One of the most exciting parts of life as a Creative Producer at Columbia is the overabundance of talented filmmakers. Being the largest film school in the nation, the resources provided to me on a daily basis is astounding.

But on to what I am doing currently—

In only just over three months at Columbia, I have had the great pleasure of working on many different sets, sometimes even functioning as just a crew member. This past weekend I got the opportunity to work on my first MFA Thesis project as a script supervisor. Though this was a position I had never done before, wow! It was so much fun! I had no idea what all went into maintaining continuity and script supervising. I have a whole new respect for the position now that I have done it and realized what all goes into being an effective script supervisor.

Also we are in the process of developing our adaptation projects. I am working closely with an incredibly talented and brilliant director to write the script that is set to shoot in April 2017. My favorite thing about this project is the collaborative nature of the project. Once a script is locked, I can give you all more details!