Does Sleep Still Exist?

Does Sleep Still Exist?

Reaching the last two weeks of the spring semester, I’ve started to ask myself a bunch of questions, but one, in particular, always seems to bubble up to the surface.

What is it, you ask?

Does sleep still exist?

I feel you, guys.

I feel you, guys.

Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Elaine, of course, sleep still exists. Since when hasn’t it?”

I’ll tell you since when.

Since the original 24 hours in a day weren’t enough to fit both all our work and the 7 hours of sleep recommended by the National Sleep Foundation.

For some, this transition into Sleepless Land hasn’t happened yet. But for me, I can’t remember when I didn’t have a season pass to the world’s worst theme park.

Days go by and, more often than not, it feels like I’m Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

Insert eye roll and sympathetic outstretched hand here

So, you’re probably asking yourself, “Why is she telling us about not sleeping while in the Journalism, MA program?”

Honesty.

Being the ambassador of this program means a lot to me.

When I applied last year, more than anything, I was terrified I wouldn’t get in. I had made plenty of mistakes in undergrad and didn’t think any grad program would take a second glance at my application.

Columbia, my number-one choice, actually did. They gave me the opportunity to learn and excel, sometimes believing in me more than I believe in myself.

With that being said, I didn’t want my blogs not to sound like me. Writing in a distant voice and pretending every day was a fairy tale isn’t real, and I didn’t want to sell “champagne wishes and caviar dreams” unless I could deliver them.

I wanted people to be prepared for all aspects of what the program entails, the good, the bad and the ugly.

If you want to succeed, not only in this program, but in this business, a great night’s sleep is often not high on the priority list.

But, knowing that in advance and figuring out the best way to incorporate sleep in your life is one of the best tools I can give you.

If only one of these nuggets of wisdom sticks with you, I hope it’s this one.

Take care of yourself and you’ll walk into every class feeling like this…

Or close enough

Yes, please

Or close enough.