The Creator’s Code

The Creator’s Code

Amy Wilkinson's recently published book, The Creators Code: The Six Essential Skills of Extraordinary Entrepreneurs

Amy Wilkinson’s recently published book, The Creator’s Code: The Six Essential Skills of Extraordinary Entrepreneurs

Graduate school requires an insane amount of reading: it’s a fact. Yet I can’t help but wiggle my way back to the days of reading for pleasure and inquiry. Being a bookworm has always been a large part of my life. I have fond memories of walking into a bookstore with my mom and finding myself unable to leave without a book under my arm to take home. Despite the majority of my current reading being devoted to my studies in the MAM program, I’ve made it an effort this year to discover and read course-related texts that will encourage me to expand my knowledge as much as possible. In this blog post, I’d like to dissect my most recent book purchase about entrepreneurship and six skills that can help anyone crack their creator’s code.

The Creator’s Code: The Six Essential Skills of Extraordinary Entrepreneurs was recently released by author Amy Wilkinson  in February 2015. I find it extremely important to stumble upon books published within the past 12 months. Call me crazy, but I love reading books on business and entrepreneurship that are as recent and relevant as possible to the present 21st century environment.

Within Wilkinson’s book, it’s apparent that her interviews with 200 leading U.S. entrepreneurs in varying industries across a five-year span establishes a good blend of research and storytelling, making it a captivating read. The structure of the book lives to its title, segmented into the six entrepreneurial topics that Wilkinson states are universal and can be learned, practiced, and passed on to any aspiring entrepreneur.

Wilkinson cracking the code of successful entrepreneurs

1. Find the Gap

Staying alert can allow creators to spot opportunities that others may not see. The ability to keep their eyes open for an unmet need or a vacuum to fill can catapult creators towards approaching success. Wilkinson additionally breaks down three distinct techniques that creators tend to use: Sunbirds (who transplant ideas across divides by utilizing analogies), Architects (those who ask ‘what if’ questions to design a new way forward), and Integrators (the technique of merging differing concepts).

2. Drive for Daylight

By focusing on the future, creators are able to lead with their vision of what is possible. This permits creators to scan the edges of the horizon and decide where they should be quickly moving. My favorite quote from this section is, “Creators build toward where they are going, not where they are. They are never complacent.”

3. Fly the OODA Loop

OODA is an acronym for observe, orient, decide, act. Flying the OODA Loop allows creators to update their assumptions, move nimbly from one decision to the next, and establish an organizational culture of debating, openness, trust, and respect. Ultimately, this section encourages mastering this fast-cycle iteration in order to gain an edge over competitors.

4. Fail Wisely

“It’s neither fun nor comfortable, but failure is necessary.” These words by Wilkinson set the tone of failing wisely, accepting that mistakes will happen, and realizing that honing this skill can turn setbacks into successes. So often we hear and receive this advice, yet Wilkinson’s interviews with Google, Netflix and Opower provide insight on developing resilience via setting failure ratios and placing small bets to test ideas.

5. Network Minds

Wilkinson emphasizes that creators are able to solve multifaceted problems by bringing together the brainpower of diverse individuals through both online and offline forums. Harnessing cognitive diversity increases awareness of new information, questioning one’s assumptions, and becoming more receptive to problem solving approaches. Words from Wilkinson that stood out to me most in this section were, “Creators believe everyone has something to offer.”

6. Gift Small Goods

Gifting translates to generosity. Unleashing this generosity in their network allows creators to spark collaboration, cooperation and productivity among their colleagues. Furthermore, offering kindness is essential towards strengthening relationships and developing an organizational culture of transparency and interconnection.

In short, this book is a useful guide for those who are looking to become entrepreneurs or are seeking to enhance their entrepreneurial skill-set. Wilkinson does a great job of communicating that the six essential skills aren’t stand-alone practices, but rather feed the next to generate both synergy and momentum. Additionally, she is consistently reminding readers that there is no special expertise required to tackle and master these six skills. Wilkinson makes readers feel accepted and capable of honing and applying these skills in their entrepreneurial endeavors, which not every author can do successfully. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend that you too make this investment in your library collection!

"It takes courage to bring something original into the world." - Amy Wilkinson

“It takes courage to bring something original into the world.” – Amy Wilkinson