NAEA in NOLA

NAEA in NOLA

image

Photo by Jessica Burton

Eleven Art Ed, MAT students recently travelled to New Orleans for the National Art Education Association Convention. We had been fundraising all year, and had also been looking forward to the trip knowing that by the time we got there we would also be nearing graduation. We had just transitioned from our high school student teaching placements to elementary, so it was hard to have to miss a few days of school, but we were all ready for a little vacation.

I had never been to New Orleans, and while it was difficult to balance seeing the city with actually attending the conference, I managed to get in a good sampling. Highlights of the trip included our Prof. Anne Becker’s Birthday dinner at Grand Isle, our evening on Frenchman Street, and all of the free art supplies brought home, and the change of scenery after a Chicago winter.

10431543_752311779822_9188903346859515189_n

St. Louis Cathedral in the rain

10426551_752539418632_1037911358092277233_n

The next day when the weather lifted.

13512_752593535182_2553532249150482076_n

A poem purchased on Frenchman Street

I’ve asked my travel buddies to share a bit about their experiences:

image

One of the many arts and crafts tables

image

A festive photo booth

image

Bourbon Street (which we all sort of decided was like the Wrigleyville of New Orleans)

image

image

The Original Muffaletta at Central Grocery

image

French Market Tour with Professor Cheryl Gold.

image

Beignets at Cafe Du Monde

image

Selfie at the pre-service meet and greet

– Photos by Nathalie Baranyk (Cohort 22)

image

The NAEA trip was great! This is my second time going and I can say it was better than last year’s. It was a great bonding experience within the cohort we got to know the cohort a year behind us better! I got to meet so many art teachers from around the country and really share ideas and thoughts with them. I left the conference with a plethora of lesson and unit ideas that will definitely be used in the classroom.

-Carolina Arroyave (Cohort 22)

image

I had a fantastic time at the NAEA conference. I really enjoyed getting to choose workshops based on my individual interests and needs as a pre-service teacher in an urban area like Chicago. I also loved exploring New Orleans with the other Art Ed students from Columbia! I am excited to return to the conference next year.

-Melissa McBride (Cohort 23)

image

I loved being surrounded by caring and creative art educators.

-Kamryn Stimpson (Cohort 23)

image

During the convention I was initiated into my new role as Preservice Division Director-Elect. With much of my time devoted to working in my new role during the day, I was delighted to spend my evenings with my greatest support system; my fellow cohort members!

-Jessica Burton (Cohort 22)

image

Photo by Carolina Arroyave

The opportunities for learning at the NAEA were astounding. I have never been under one roof with so many workshops relevant to teaching the Arts. I attended a different workshop every hour, gaining insights and access to a wealth of resources to make me a better teacher. I recommend this for any Art teacher!

My roommate at the hotel was amazing and so easy to live with. Truthfully, I never saw her. She didn’t snore or hog the bathroom. In fact, when she came in from a night on the town, she didn’t make a sound, leaving me to wonder if she really existed.

-Jeanne McLean (Cohort 22)