2015: Perspective

2015: Perspective

Sunset at the National Park – Mumbai, India

“I really want to change the world. I feel like I’ve been put here or my purpose here is to change the world and I know the only way to do that is through my thinking.”

They say that the first several days of a New Year are predictive of what to expect in the coming twelve months. If that is the case then I believe this next year will be one of great change, learning, and action. I am currently spending my first weeks of 2015 in Mumbai, India where a classmate of mine is shooting her thesis film and the change of setting has already shown me a greater education than anything else in my life.

A couple months back I agreed to be the First Assistant Director for her film and I gladly accepted. As much as I tried to prepare myself for such an event, there was never going to be enough information or authentic understanding for what I would see and learn. From this, I can say that 2015 will easily be an even deeper extension of the progress and learning from this last year.

Amazing sights to see everywhere

Amazing sights to see everywhere

So much that I have gained at this point is from going, doing, and seeing first hand. The learning process spreads far past the classroom and if Columbia has afforded me one thing, it is that it is an environment that encourages me to go out and experience filmmaking for myself. The opportunities to be on set and to be a part of as many projects as I want is huge and invaluable. The ability to come to India and experience the country and my passion in a new place, is something I hope to never forget.

Crew Members pose during a visit to Elephanta Island

Filming in Italy this past summer and coming to India now has shown me the power of my chosen career. Not only does this help me to produce and create a project in a vastly different setting, but I am learning to tell stories that will reach people on a global level—on a human level. If my thesis film was about taking all I’ve learned to spread my wings and fly for the first time, then everything following and remaining for me in this program is to get me to start thinking about how far I can fly and how high.

Friends and Crew Members riding the train together

My travels have shown me how much I have to say and how important it is to find a way to say it, share it, tell it. India has inspired me and made me think about the power film has as a tool. It can reflect the world upon itself and if used properly, it can be a tool that can change the world. It just requires filmmakers who are ready to tell the stories.