Learning in Sunny Puerto Rico, If I’m Lucky

Potential Poster for the Puerto Rico Study Abroad Program

When my friends, and then Graduate Assistants, Kelsey, Renee and Janelle started developing an idea to study abroad. I was excited about the possibility, and looking forward to the chance to go somewhere for J-Term. I mean, who wouldn’t want to take a break from Chicago in the middle of winter. So when Mary Filice, Associate Chair of the Business & Entrepreneurship Department, suggested that we go to Puerto Rico, it sounded too good to be true. A tropical, culturally vibrant country during Winter Break, sounds great to me.

The trip itself sounds wonderful with plans to visit the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture, The Museo de Arte De Puerto Rico, and experience the San Juan Arts Festvial, as well as day trips to national parks, this J-Term class looks to be a great experience. The course itself is still in development, but in the capable hands of the Business & Entrepreneurship faculty, I’m sure it will be splendid.

The aspect of this that strikes me as most important is that my friends were able to essentially co-create a class with faculty assistance. I’ve said before that one of the things that I really enjoy about my program is the flexibility available to us, and creating a J-term course from scratch with faculty collaboration is one of the most exciting opportunities that the “let’s do it” attitude of Columbia College Chicago offers.

Puerto Rico Beach Photo Credit: WikiCommons

Puerto Rico Beach
Photo Credit: WikiCommons

So, if you get a chance to go on this trip, rest assured knowing that it will be a fun learning experience created in partnership with your fellow students. I’ll be counting my pennies hoping to go, but if the stars don’t align for me, be sure to send me a postcard, even if you’re taking the study abroad program years from now.

There will be an informational meeting for the Puerto Rico: Arts and Cultural Managmement, J-Term Course on Wednesday, September 17, at 1pm, in building 618 S. Michigan on the 7th Floor.