The High Priestess of Soul

The High Priestess of Soul

[flickr id=”12885005955″ thumbnail=”medium_640″ overlay=”true” size=”medium_640″ group=”” align=”none”]

Earlier this fall, I spoke about following your I.G.C. (Inner God(dess) Compass). I believe this is a very important tool to use as we navigate through life, but I also think finding people, places, and things that lend inspiration can be just as important and beneficial. The Interdisciplinary Arts program at Columbia College Chicago has been a great place for me to learn and grow as an artist. It has taught me a lot abut who I was, who I am becoming, and who I would like to be. Personally, one of my greatest challenges since I have been back in school is staying motivated. There are so many new things I am learning and sometimes I don’t think I am going to be able to grasp all the concepts or I just assume I will fail somewhere in the midst; so I begin to lose my motivation and desire to keep pushing. I think this can apply to many things we try to accomplish in life, so in order to reach these goal we must search for motivation.

(Photo credit: www.ninasimone.com/)

(Photo credit: www.ninasimone.com/)

I discovered my greatest motivator about seven years ago and her name is Nina Simone. There is something about her voice and music that make me want to be great. The first song of hers I heard was “Aint Got No/I Got Life.” This song talks about how no matter what we may be going through or how hard life may be, we should always be grateful for simply being alive. When I am stuck on an assignment, tired, or feeling overwhelmed I play her music and suddenly I find the inspiration to keep going. It’s not always easy or an automatic fix, but it’s a start.

I am working on an essay for my History of Interdisciplinary Arts class, and we were assigned to choose an artist who was working in New York during the 70’s. I naturally chose Nina. I find it important to study her, not just because I am a fan of her music but because I believe that there is something artistically that draws me to her; and it is beneficial to understand what that is and how I can use it in my artistry. Things, people or places that motivate us do so because they are somehow connected to our soul.

(Photo credit: www.ninasimone.com/)

(Photo credit: www.ninasimone.com/)