To China and Back Again (Part II)

To China and Back Again (Part II)

[flickr id=”10192026536″ thumbnail=”medium” overlay=”true” size=”medium” group=”” align=”none”]

This post is a continuation from (Part I).

As we broke out for the Constructed Image workshop, each of the four of us took a group of students and a printed image that we would recreate with our group. My group was fairly large and pretty excited about getting to participate.[flickr id=”10191993486″ thumbnail=”medium” overlay=”true” size=”medium” group=”” align=”none”]I tried to get them to come up with some other ideas, ways that we could adapt or change the image we were making. We were only meant to use the source image as a starting point, instead of just imitation, but something must have been lost in translation, because the students had no clue what I was talking about. So I took control of the group and we set up the image as more of an imitation. I think it was easier to understand.

After we did a couple of the images, the whole group came back together and we loaded up the images we took and shared them.

[flickr id=”10192052733″ thumbnail=”medium” overlay=”true” size=”medium” group=”” align=”none”]

After the workshop had finished, and while Ross was getting mobbed by a group that wanted to ask questions, Ani and I headed over to another building where we had seen there were some portfolio reviews happening. Because of the Latin American show that was on exhibit in the building next to us, there were a number of curators from Latin America. Those were the people we went to see.

[flickr id=”10192023826″ thumbnail=”medium” overlay=”true” size=”medium” group=”” align=”none”]

I guess we were supposed to pay for the reviews, but we just walked in and they told us to have a seat. The reviews seemed productive, even if only for an introduction to curators and eyes that we would not normally have access to. There were a few people that we didn’t have time to meet with while we were at the reviews, so we made some appointments for the next couple days.

Our obligations to the festival were finished at that point. We spent the last few days going outside the walls of Pingyao on some electric bikes, doing some local sightseeing, and buying some souvenirs. Oh, and the Cuban curator brought some cigars, so that happened.

We’re back now and are trying to adjust back to life, as well as the 12-hour time change.