Year-End Shenanigans…

Year-End Shenanigans…

The semester is over, which means that I survived my first year of graduate school! Last week was surprisingly easy. There was so much build up that once the final week hit, it was almost anticlimactic. Everything was handed in already; I had made every thing that I could make for my one critique this semester. Tuesday we sat in the park to wrap up Art+Science Collaborations and had a sort of picnic. I know, it’s what everyone thinks art school is like. Wednesday was my critique for In and On the Page. It was great to see what everyone had composited in a class with so many failed experiments. I got some great feedback on my stuff and am ready to move forward. Thursday was a presentation on my web presence for Art as Practice. And that was it. Time to sit back and wait for the grades to roll in (two out of three have been posted so far, and I’m pleased).
At Columbia College Chicago, the school has an interesting way to help facilitate the release of end of the year stress. They throw a huge [multi] block party called Manifest. It is intense. My wife and kids and I decided to check it out. As a graduate student in the Interdisciplinary Book and Paper Arts, you don’t see a lot of the undergraduates. We are pretty much tucked away in our safe little bubble in the Center for Book and Paper Arts. At Manifest, however, you truly realize that you are at a fairly large college. Manifest is in its design a pre commencement curation mostly aimed at the undergrads. Well, they outnumber us, by a lot, as they should. That isn’t to say that graduate students shouldn’t attend and have fun. On the contrary, everyone should go. It was awesome. My kids had so much fun too.

There was cotton candy, music, games, and art demos. My one and a half year old son was the life of the party at one of the music stages. I was pretty proud. He hopped out of his stroller, got out in front, and was jumping around and dancing to a band. What can I say, the kid loves rock music, especially drums. After that we wrapped up, stopped by the Columbia Whovians tent, and headed back to our life outside of art school (we had a Confirmation party to attend, opposite side of the spectrum).

Since the school year never truly ends in graduate school, I am now keeping busy with my Summer reading and viewing list. So far, I have three books going: Punkademics, Nothing Feels Good, and Easter Rising. Yesterday I watched the Other F Word, a film about guys in the punk bands I grew up listening to now being dads. It was awesome.  You can read my full review of it here. It’s sure to be a very busy summer between doing research, trying to find a job and the plethora of yard work. Until next time, be safe and remember the sunscreen!