What Can I Do with a Degree in Dance/Movement Therapy & Counseling?

• Photo From http://www.christinabrandt.com/blog/

Since this profession started in the early 1940’s, DMT has shown effectiveness across many populations.  After I receive my degree from Columbia, I can work in a wide range of situations, particularly because I will have the opportunity to not only be a registered dance movement therapist but also a licensed professional counselor (LPC).

The most common situations that a dance movement therapist may work in after getting their degree are hospitals, nursing homes, schools, rehabilitation centers, and, after becoming board certified (BC-DMT), private practice.  Within these situations dance/movement therapists may work with many different populations as well as age ranges.  Specializations within the field of dance/movement therapy may include working with communities, prevention/wellness, veterans, early childhood, geriatrics,  leadership/management, trauma, special needs, addictions and LGBTQ.  For a full listing of job opportunities related to dance/movement therapy you can check out the American Dance Therapy Association (ADTA).

My degree will also allow me to work under a wide range of titles.  Because I am getting a degree in DMT and I have the opportunity to sit for the Illinois State Licensed Professional Counselor exam.  Once I pass the exam, I can work in situations where I can offer my skills as an LPC.

Recently, I have noticed this question appear as well: What does it mean to be an LPC?

I have to say, the fact that I knew I could still sit for the LPC exam upon the completion of this program was a huge draw for me.  With a degree in both counseling and dance/movement therapy, this opens a lot of doors employment wise.  Having the opportunity to become a licensed professional counselor gives me even more job stability. While I am currently studying all of the theology as well as methodology that surrounds being a dance movement therapist, I am also learning different counseling skills as well.  This enables me to not only utilize my skills as a dance movement therapist but to broaden my skills from a verbal standpoint as well.