Spring Break

La nascita di Venere (Botticelli)

La nascita di Venere (Botticelli)

I am looking forward to taking a moment to reflect in order to move forward, to rest in order to rejuvenate. I could really use a break. My brain is tired. My muse is tired. I’m tired. And this seems to be a general consensus among the graduate students that I have spoken to.

What do I plan to do over spring break? Well… the things I promised myself that I would do this semester: go to more art events, attend more yoga classes, dance…

Specifically, I want to attend the Chicago Moving Company‘s 40th anniversary show at The Dance Center. The performance runs March 21, 22 & 23, 8:00PM. CMC is directed by Columbia’s own Nana Shineflug. I’ve got my ticket! If you are a student, you can get your ticket for five dollars! Don’t miss it.

Coming Forth by Day, The Chicago Moving Company, photo by William Frederking

I have taken dance classes with Nana off and on for the past couple years. As with her Movement class at Columbia, she teaches in a way that encourages you to move your limbs from your core. This philosophy of teaching is very much in line with the principles of yoga. I have missed being in her class and plan to attend a couple classes during my time away from school. She teaches in a lovely studio at Hamlin Park in partnership with the Chicago Park District.

A 10-pack of yoga classes, which I purchased through a group buying online sale, has been used once. Being a good yoga instructor demands being a good yoga student. More yoga!

I’m looking forward to kissing spring in the face on March 20—equinox for balance.