ARC Gallery

ARC Gallery

Re/Invention Exhibition flyer, ARC Gallery

This past summer, I was voted in as a member artist of ARC Gallery. ARC is a women’s cooperative gallery that has been in existence since 1973, formed during the women’s movement as an alternative to mainstream galleries and in support of professional and emerging women artists. The gallery is completely member-run, from installing and de-installing shows to marketing and finances. Members pay monthly dues towards operational costs. The gallery also receives some grant funding.

Some of the benefits of being a member of ARC gallery include: being part of an artist community with opportunities to exchange ideas and resources; a solo exhibition within 18-24 months of joining the gallery; and participation in the annual members’ show.

I am the maple leaf, the cypress tree…

ARC’s Annual Members Exhibition “BLOX” is on display now through November 3, 2012. The opening reception was on Friday, October 12 from 6-8pm, and it was well attended. This exhibit showcases the work of current and affiliate members. The work created for this exhibition focuses on constructing art works as a sum of parts. My work is represented in this show, and I presented a poetry performance at the opening reception in conjunction with my work. (Click here to see more of my visual art.)

ARC has been housed in several locations in Chicago during its nearly 40 years in existence. Currently, the gallery is located at 2156 N. Damen in a lovely storefront location. “Come see our new space in Bucktown and learn about what we have achieved through 40 years of women working together.” The gallery is open Wednesday–Saturday from 12pm–6pm and Sunday from 12pm–4pm.