The Amazing Liz Rosenberg, Cohort 20 Extraordinaire

My friend and classmate, Liz, is a bowl full of awesomeness. That is a fact and not a biased opinion. She seriously does everything. I thought it would be a great idea to get her on this blog to show everyone how interesting and talented she is, to further showcase how eclectic the Art Education MAT program is, and to shed some light on the different avenues one can take as an art educator.Liz, what brought you here from Texas, and what’s the one thing you miss most about Houston?

I first came to Chicago to attend the School of the Art Institute of Chicago for my bachelor’s in fine art.  I came to SAIC’s early college program in high school, and I fell in love with the city’s culture, as well as its amazing museums.

One thing I miss a lot about Houston is the laid back vibe of the city. It also has amazing art.  I definitely miss being able to go to the Rothko chapel, the Menil, and James Turrell’s installation in The Heights. Oh! And, the annual art car parade!

You do a lot of really cool things. What was working at Lincoln Park Zoo like? What’s your favorite animal there?

That was an amazing experience I sort of came by on accident.  I love people, and it was a position that allowed me to work closely with the public.  I knew next to nothing about conservation or zoology when I started.  That was the best part.  I never knew how much zoos do to help conserve the animal populations in the wild. As an artist, it gave me confidence that all people can connect to science.  My favorite educational chats I did were about the training that’s done at the Regenstein Center for African Apes.  It’s one of the world’s premier research centers on apes.  The keepers there do so much to help ape populations all over the world (including ape populations here in the US).  I definitely got over stage fright in that position.  Sometimes, I would speak to hundreds of people at a time. A classroom of 30 to 40 doesn’t intimidate me any more. ;)

My favorite animal there would have to be their famous white cheeked gibbon Caruso!  I also loved a ball python that I handled named Chris.  It was wonderful teaching the public about an animal that most people fear (and I feared at first!). Oh, and I also loved the Slow Loris! OOOHHHH and Alpacas!

Can you explain to everyone what the CMYKittens do?

Yep! The CMYKittens is a Chicago based artist group.  It is comprised of all women, all of which (besides myself) are graphic designers.  We create interactive art environments.  We created an installation at a show called Built last year where we talked about the role the CMYK color process played in early print material.   We’ve also been a part of Art On Track for two years now. This year, we built a “giant lite brite”, and I told Chicago ghost stories at a mock campfire under LED stars!  Here is an article about our contribution to the show this year.

[flickr id=”8077770858″ thumbnail=”medium_640″ overlay=”true” size=”original” group=”” align=”none”]

What’s the best part about working at the Children’s Museum?

Oh, definitely teaching art and being around children.  My boss has been such a great mentor for me on my art education path.  I have met amazing people who work there.  The museum is made up of people from varied interests who truly love children and education.  Also, the events they have are great.  They have “passport” nights where different communities come in and share about their culture (e.g. Passport to Native America).

The exhibits are also definitely some of the best aspects of working there. There is an exhibit about cardboard right now! Definitely check it out if you can.

What are the pros and cons of museum education compared to being a classroom teacher?

A definite pro of working in museums is the diverse population you get to meet. You never know who’s going to walk into the art studio or where they are going to be from.  A con is that you usually only get to interact with them for one day.  In a classroom setting, you can really assess if what you are teaching has an impact, and you gain a stronger connection to your students.

The biggest pro would be what I myself learn there.  Their professional development is incredible.  They really want their staff to be well-educated in trends and happenings in child development and research. I learned about Lois Hetland’s Studio Habits of Mind there before entering this program!

How do you balance all of the neat stuff you do with your school work?

Hahah BARELY!  I kid, I kid.  I’ve found it’s really important to take care of yourself when you are doing so much.  I also try to approach every school project as not just a need-to-do but a WANT-to-do.  Learning is fun!! Our professors have really created unique projects that make them enjoyable to complete.

I’ve also cut down on a lot of the outside projects I’ve taken on.  Also, cut yourself a break from time to time.  For instance, I’m taking a small weekend trip on Friday, because I know I need to recharge my batteries, so to speak.

What is one piece of advice you would give to someone thinking of becoming an art teacher?

VOLUNTEER! Try on a teacher’s hat to see if the fit is right.  There are so many great programs out there that need support.  Find a museum that you love, and find out if their education department needs any volunteers.  You’d be surprised how receptive most institutions are to any kind of interest. At one time, I thought I’d like to be an art therapist, so I just e-mailed someone in the field and created my own internship.  People usually won’t turn down free help. They also love what they do and love to share it with people who might be a great addition to their field. Open Books is also a great resource! They are always in need of book buddies at their schools.

Sum up how awesome your life is in one sentence… it can be a run on :P

My life is awesome, because I keep it filled with inspiring people, diverse experiences, challenging situations, new perspectives, and the opportunities to siphon it all into learning experiences for others.