How to prepare for the movement interview.

Interiew. Photo taken from http://www.colum.edu/Academics/DMTC/DMTC_Departmental_Student_Handbook.php

If you’ve applied to any of the three movement-oriented graduate programs offered by Columbia College Chicago (Dance/Movement Therapy & Counseling, GL-CMA, MPACC), you have heard back by now whether or not you have been invited to the movement interview on March 3rd. If you have been invited, you have passed the first “cut”, so to speak, and are on to the next step in the application process.  One step closer to being accepted into the program.  I myself applied to the GL-CMA certificate program and have been invited to the movement interview.  I want to take a moment to hash out what it means to “prepare” for such an event.

The idea of preparing for the movement interview is kind of, as Susan D. Imus put in an older blog post, an “oxymoron.”  Knowing from experience, the movement interview is not used to look at a student’s dance technique, like how many pirouettes he or she can do;  rather the movement interview is used to see how comfortable movers are moving in their body.  Not only that, but how comfortable they are improvising and how well they move with other dancers.

Despite knowing that, I am sure the whole idea of the movement interview is anxiety inducing.  I remember how nervous I was the morning of my interview to the program– I was sweating like hell (more than you probably wanted to know, I’m sure).  After getting settled into the interview, however, I was so comfortable and just indulged in the opportunity of dancing with and amongst amazing people.  The interview process was seriously a great experience and would still be considered one even if I wasn’t accepted.

Where the audition is! Photo taken from https://www.google.com/search?q=916+S.+Wabash+Chicago&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

However, I will give some pointers on how to “prepare” for the movement interview:

1. Be on time.  Plain and simple.
  2. Dress comfortably and wear clothes you feel good dancing in.
  3. Be yourself! I seriously cannot stress this enough….. BE YOURSELF!
  4. Speak truth in the verbal interview (and non verbally while moving).  Represent yourself well by speaking truth and don’t be afraid to high light your strengths.
  5. Engage in your own interview process.  Measure how you feel during the interview. Do you like the faculty and does Columbia College Chicago feel like a good fit?  Deciding on a grad school is an important decision, so make sure you think about how the school fits your own personal needs as a future grad student.

Those are just a few suggestions and ideas about the movement interview.  I will also try to remember them during the movement interview for the GL-CMA.  Also, a reminder that there is an Alumni Dance Concert the Friday night before the interview.  It is not required for prospective students to attend, but it’s a great opportunity to see more of the Chicago DMT & C community.

Good luck!