Past, Present, and Future Endeavors

[flickr id=”6345876751″ thumbnail=”medium” overlay=”true” size=”medium” group=”” align=”none”]

The topic of graduation has been swirling around with many of the second-year AEMMers.  The general feeling is a mix between excitement and nervousness.  Considering the state of the economy, many of us are anxious as to what the future holds.  We have dedicated the last year and a half of our lives to papers, tests, group assignments, financial ratios, marketing plans, industry trends and all things grad school related.  Our time has been spent preparing to either enter or reenter the real world.

I think many of us are weary about this transition.  I know that I am.  I am getting ready to end this chapter of my life and start a new one.  While I am scared about the future, I do feel that Columbia has given me a confidence and knowledge boost that will ease transition into (hopefully) becoming a gainfully employed arts manager.

[flickr id=”6346636438″ thumbnail=”medium_640″ overlay=”true” size=”medium_640″ group=”” align=”none”]

Before coming to Columbia College Chicago, I lived in New York City, a place I still believe to be one of the greatest cities on the planet.  New York taught me how to be comfortable in my own skin.  In the song L.E.S. Artistes by Santigold, formerly known as Santogold, there’s a line that says “creep up and suddenly, I found myself an innovator.”  The whole song resonates with me, but that line really hits home.  Maybe not the creep part, while some friends of mine might disagree, but New York did teach me how to be innovative.  As amazing as New York is, you have to be innovative or you will get eaten up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCeZzW54a2o[/youtube]

Since moving to Chicago and attending Columbia, I have gained knowledge and a new found confidence.  Not to mention, a new found love for Chicago.  I am hoping that this knowledge and sense of confidence will help land me a job as an arts manager.  Whether that job is here in Chicago, New York, London, Los Angeles or Timbuktu I am confident that something will work out.

I know that I will be able to find a job, but I am concerned about finding a job in the arts and entertainment industry.  I think my best bet is to continue to apply myself and seek out situations where opportunities will present themselves.