As The School Year is Wrapping Up, I Feel More Emotional than Usual

As the school year is wrapping up, I feel more emotional than usual. For one, we’ve been in a pandemic more than the entirety of a school year. A whole year of Zoom fatigue and going to (somewhat) weekly classes with a mask on. Secondly, I’m a junior and it’s hitting me that a year from now I’ll be graduating. And to be perfectly honest, I’m not ready. I feel like I haven’t done enough here, and the pandemic has ruined over a quarter of my college experience. I feel like I haven’t taken full advantage of my time here at Columbia. So, next year I am going to get everything out of it that I possibly can.  

Pandemic or not, I feel like a lot of students experience similar feelings. We’re told that college is supposed to be the best part of our lives and that we’re supposed to do all of these things. But the reality for many people is that college isn’t as amazing as everyone says it is. And I’m trying to come to terms with that. Because it’s really okay 

This weekend I watched the Disney movie Soul for the first time. I think creatives should especially watch this movie. In short, it explores the meaning of life and that’s something that’s been consuming my mind during the pandemic. To say it changed my perspective of life is an understatement. We are so much more than the first 4 years of college and (for most) our early 20s. I’m realizing that education, finances, and career are important things, but none of those things are the end all be all. We are so much more than where we went to school, what we used to do, and what we do now.  

Until next time,  

B