This First Week of Class Was Not What I Expected

This first week of class was not what I expected. Although, it did go better than I thought it would. It’s refreshing to have a packed schedule and a generally more significant purpose to my days again. With classes being online, it feels like school hasn’t actually started up yet. I feel like I’m in this gray in-between area. It’s as though my life now is more than just being a student. Class is only a part of my life now and not the whole of it, which I believe to be a healthy shift.

I really like it, but it very much so seems like a slippery slope. I don’t have any concrete answers, I’m just a student also learning to adjust, but I’m going to try my best to stick to a routine so that I don’t slip. Every morning, I get ready for the day like I would if I was going to school in person. I eat my usual breakfast, write everything down in my planner, have my meal prep for dinner, and so on. Essentially, I am following my pre-pandemic routine to get my mind and body prepared for school. This is just what works for me.

I encourage you all to find a routine different from your quarantine routine that works for you. As a person with mental illness, I know how easy it is to stay up late, stop taking care of yourself, lay in bed most of the day, and neglect nourishing your body with food and water. With the state of the world and having to stay home all day, I don’t blame you. I’ve had many days like that in the past six months. If you are struggling, Columbia has resources that can help you, like Counseling Services, which you can visit here: https://students.colum.edu/counseling-services/index.html. Do what works best for you and know that you are supported.