Graphic Designer Sierra Pennala

Graphic Designer Sierra Pennala

Hello! I am a junior at Columbia College Chicago majoring in Graphic Design and minoring in Creative Advertising. My passion stems from telling stories, which means branding, ad campaigns, and book designs are among my favorite projects to develop at Columbia. I would like to pursue a career in Advertising and Art Direction, ideally within a nonprofit organization or a small start-up.

I had no formal design jobs until I began my position as a Graphic Designer in the school’s Student Communications office, which has been one of the best possible teaching experiences I could have asked for. It has allowed me the opportunity to work with other talented designers and artists, and I’ve been able to watch my design capabilities grow throughout the semesters, which is incredibly rewarding.

In my spare time I also enjoy screen-printing, reading poetry (which is an excellent catalyst for design inspiration!) and writing. While not formally trained in illustration, I have also been experimenting with drawing organic forms in my work, using thinly sketched lines and water-color-like textures in juxtaposition with more solid forms. My time within Columbia and Chicago’s creative community has been wonderfully eye opening, and much of my inspiration comes from the passion of the students and artists around me!

To see more of Sierra’s work please visit her Instagram.