If you create, make, or produce your own art, then ShopColumbia at Averill and Bernard Leviton Gallery can offer you the ability to sell your work.  Located at 619 S. Wabash Ave., the Fall semester offers students the opportunity for retail sales in the expansive new space.  Moving from its former location at 623 S. Wabash, ShopColumbia has roughly quadrupled in size to house the wide spectrum of art and products that create its unique identity.

ShopColumbia is a store created specifically to give students a marketplace to sell student-produced work.  Music, paintings, photography, zines, clothing, prints, illustrations, gifts, cards, jewelry, and accessories are all just part of the list of what students have created to sell in the store. In the nine years the store has been open, it has generated over $300,000 in profits for students alone.  Their mission statement reads, “As an extension of the classroom, the Shop supports students by providing a professional environment to hone the process of presenting, marketing, and selling work to the public.”

Students earn 75% of any sales they make.  The other 25% is used to pay for the shop’s student staff as well as operational cost and marketing.  Faculty and staff also have the opportunity to utilize Shop Columbia at a 50/50 rate, which is a general standard for any gallery across the city.

The submission process is straightforward and can be done online at anytime. On the first Monday of every month a review board evaluates all submissions received.  If the board finds a submission meets a general criteria of being original, well crafted, and falls within the spectrum of what products the store offers, your work can be sold.  The review board also provides feedback if an individual’s work needs more refinement or isn’t quite ready for consignment.  The storefront also features six spotlight exhibitions every year, giving an opportunity to check out curated work as well.

Whether people are looking, buying, or selling, ShopColumbia at Averill and Bernard Leviton Gallery has a steady flow of traffic in the store.  Don’t hesitate to stop in and ask additional questions, as the staff is happy to answer them.  The current store hours are M-F 11AM–5 PM, but it’s best to check their hours online just to make sure.

Additional information can be found at….

Guidelines along with the submission link can be found at …