Why Can’t I Get a Job… Part 3

With graduation now behind us, the Portfolio Center hears a lot of the same questions and challenges from students. Twice a week, we will feature another FAQ, with pointers from our staff. 

Q: I’ve landed a lot of interviews, but none of them have resulted in me getting a job. Am I doing something wrong in the interview, or were they not even considering me the entire time?

A: If you were granted an interview, chances are that whatever the potential employer saw on your resume led them to believe that your experiences could be “good enough” to qualify you for their opening. However, it is important in the interview to both research the company and be prepared for specific questions pertaining to the open role, as well as connect your past experiences to the new opportunity. Oftentimes an employer will be undecided as to whether or not your experiences will have prepared you for the new role, so it will be up to you to express clearly and with evidence that your past responsibilities are relevant. Too often we get lost in worrying about whether or not the interviewer thought we were nervous, committing some etiquette faux pas, and so on when the most important aspect of interviewing remains your ability to talk about yourself and your experiences in a relatable, succinct manner.

Stay tuned for more tips on Wednesday!