A Welcome for the New Students, A Wake Up for Returning

Hello, fellow Columbia students. It’s Maddie again. As some of you may know, Spring Orientation is coming to a close. This means two things.

1. There is a bundle of new, excited students on campus, freshmen and transfers alike, ready to begin their Columbia experience, and
  2. The spring semester is literally around the corner. Dun dun dun…

Don’t panic! Portfolio Center is here to ease you back into the groove.

First and foremost, a hello to the new students.

Hello! We are so glad that you are here! It was wonderful seeing your sleepy faces at nine in the morning at Orientation. While you were there, you may or may not have heard about us, The Portfolio Center. If not, a good place to get started is to check out our website. A better way is to stop by and say hello in person!

To all you transfers: Consider us your new best friend. Come visit us as soon as you possibly can. Schedule an appointment with your Creative Industry Liaison and bring in your work so they can “ohh” and “ahh” at how supremely talented you are and then further advise you on either beginning your portfolio, or if you already started one, how you can strengthen it. Or just stop in and ask them questions about the current status of your creative field. It’s a great way to kick off your time at Columbia.

And to the incoming freshmen: We’re so glad you’ve chosen Columbia! And we have resources for you as well! You are more than welcome to get a head start and meet with your liaison. You are also welcome to meet with either Christie Andersen Asif or Katherine Lelek to discuss searching for a part time job, your plans for your future, as well as resume and application assistance. Most importantly, come to all of our sessions! It’s an easy way to get yourself educated on cool tips, tricks and skills and also interact with working industry professionals. Especially come to our fantastic Friday workshops (schedule listed here). We’ve heard from professional, reliable sources (ourselves) that it’s going to be very cool. So come visit us ASAP.

And to all you returning students: We missed you so much. We know you aren’t buried under any snow since there wasn’t any this year, so your smiling faces should be in our office. Especially…

Seniors! Your graduation is fast approaching, so even if you stopped by last week or have never visited us at all, there is no better time than the present to schedule an appointment with your liaison to perfect that portfolio for industry night and onward into your exciting, professional lives. Let us help you keep organized during your final semester at Columbia. Also…

Juniors! Get a head start so that when you’re a senior a year from now you don’t stop in your tracks and realize that you are completely unprepared. I’ll give you a hint on where to start: 623 S Wabash, 3rd Floor, Suite 307.

Sophomores & Freshmen! Get a double head start. Take advantage of every last resource. Build your Virb site. Apply for internships while you still have the time! Come on in and get that resume polished. Come say hi to me at the front desk, it can get quiet up here. And make sure to attend those Friday sessions.

I realized yesterday that classes started soon and I hadn’t even bought my books yet. We’re all in a bit of a lull after a month away from scheduled responsibilities that we are paying for. So I thought I’d give you a little nudge to kick ya into motion.

I will leave you with some inspiring words to get you back where you left off:

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. -The Little Engine That Could

See you soon!