Introducing Elisha Dennard, the vibrant force behind Manifest. As the programming intern, Elisha’s role encompasses securing diverse food trucks for the Food Truck Lot and recruiting dedicated student volunteers. Through their commitment as a volunteer at Manifest 2022 and valuable contributions to the Commencement team, Elisha earned this transformative opportunity. This experience has honed their communication skills, fostered perseverance, and emphasized the value of embracing challenges. Join Elisha as they delve into the rewarding world of event organization, where Manifest shines as a unique celebration of Columbia College’s graduating students’ exceptional achievements.
1. Can you tell me a bit about your role in organizing Manifest and how you got involved?
I am the programming intern and my role with Manifest is to search and secure a variety of food trucks to have in our Food Truck Lot as well as to recruit student volunteers for the day of Manifest. I got involved with this internship by showing hard workmanship throughout volunteering at Manifest 2022 with the Student Programming Board, as well as being an amazing asset to the Commencement team last year.
2. How has this experience helped you develop skills that will be useful in your future career? What do you think are the most important skills someone needs to have to be successful in your role?
This experience helped me develop better communication skills. I learned how to communicate with people via email as well as in person! The skills that one person would need to have in order to be successful are patience, confidence, and the strive to learn something new every day!
3. Can you describe a particularly challenging moment you’ve encountered while working on Manifest, and how you overcame it?
I recruit student volunteers to work the day of Manifest and one difficult part of my job is when students fall back on volunteering the week of Manifest. However, that doesn’t stop me from recruiting more students. I am determined and confident that Manifest will be successful. I keep my head up and I keep moving forward!
4. What has been the most rewarding aspect of working on this event?
The most rewarding aspect of working at this event is the time when I am able to just sit back, relax, and take it all in! In my head, I just tell myself, “YOU DID IT!”
5. In your opinion, what makes Manifest unique compared to other events at Columbia College?
Manifest is unique by itself! This festival showcases graduating students’ work and the achievements that they have made all year long!
6. What advice would you give to someone who is interested in getting involved with organizing events like Manifest?
There is a quote I always tell myself, “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.”