Student Spotlight: Stephanie Toland (MAM ’16)

What is your program focus?

I don’t have a specific program focus, but my interests are entrepreneurship and small business creation within the arts.

What projects are you currently working on outside of classes?

Outside of class I run a business with my husband, Mark Toland, booking his entertainment as a Mind Reader nationwide for corporate and college events. Aside from running that business, I work as a photographer doing freelance projects. I am also the digital marketing intern for Thodos Dance Chicago.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

In the next five years, my goal is to continue to be my own boss. I want the business I run with my husband to grow, and I also want my photography to take off in some form or another. My main goal is to keep working hard and be open to opportunities!

How has being a student at Columbia impacted your path to success in your desired industry?

I think that the biggest impact that Columbia has had on me has been to boost my confidence. Before I came to Columbia, I didn’t realize that I already had the tools to be successful. I underestimated myself and my abilities.

What is your philosophy on life (personal motto) as it relates to your educational career?

“You get out, what you put in.”

What advice would you give to prospective students interested in the Master of Arts Management program?

My advice to prospective students would be that Columbia isn’t going to answer your questions or tell you what you should do. College is a place to ask questions and surround yourself with interesting people who are also asking questions. The most inspiring part of being at Columbia is being surrounded by curious, talented students who all want more out of their life and career.