#CWReadingSeries Showcases Writing

#CWReadingSeries Showcases Writing

The Spring Reading Series Poster and Line-Up... Pretty good right?

The Spring Reading Series Poster and Lineup… Pretty good right?

“Columbia College Chicago’s Department of Creative Writing is launching a new Reading Series that seeks to bring writers from multiple disciplines and traditions into the same performance space to discover, showcase and celebrate the art and act of writing.”

So begins the October 2 press release written by Cara Birch for Columbia College’s website. A semester later, the new Reading Series, having successfully combined the Fiction, Poetry and Nonfiction programs, continues to offer an amazing mix of authors, from David Lazar and Tobias Wolff to Suzanne Scanlon and Tracy K. Smith.

My position as one of the department’s graduate event coordinators has allowed me the opportunity to work closely in the managing of the reading events: from book sales and promotions to securing hotel and travel arrangements. It’s hectic but also an amazing experience that I’m genuinely fortunate to have. (Last summer, I even quit my other, full-time job to focus on it).

Why yes.  Yes that is me being silly with **cough, cough** Pulitzer Prize winner Adam Johnson!!

So, like I’ve said, it’s a great experience to be working with the series. But it’s an even better experience getting exposed to the words of so many different writers. It’s invigorating to see what others are doing with and on the page. It’s also exciting to support my fellow students who receive the opportunity to read alongside so many of the literary renown.

Check out the following poster gallery, designed by recent Columbia alum and current staff member Christopher Marnach, for all visiting writers this semester.  For more information on a particular reading you can check out either the Department’s Facebook page or the Reading Series’ website calendar.