Marginalia, Graduate Blog

This is How it Goes.

Danielle Holtz

Take Time for Dancing!

Take Time for Dancing!

I still can’t quite believe I’m here. This will be my last post as a graduate student. Next week I’ll begin my full-time teaching position at Plato Learning Academy. I’ll be teaching K-8 drama, a dream that I never would have imagined fulfilling this time two years ago. It will be hard. First year teaching positions are never easy. But I head towards it feeling confident both in my training and in the experiences I’ve had this summer.

Take Breaks

Take Breaks

I’ve been thinking a lot about what my advice would be for all the future teachers of Chicago. Don’t be afraid to be passionate. Principals love to see it, both in interviews and in the classroom. And go ahead and put in that extra work. Teaching is about going the extra mile. It almost always pays off. Apply early to teach at a summer school or camp! You will be exhausted, but you’ll meet some amazing students and get a few extra chances to practice your craft.

Take Time for Details

Take Time for Details

Take time for yourself, so you have energy when you need it. Ask for help when you need it. Teachers are full of genius ideas for lesson plans and classroom management. Some of my best lessons were inspired by something I heard a classmate explain, or from a professional development session. Remember that teaching is, at the end of the day, a public service. Wear the title with pride and see yourself as fulfilling a vital civic function. Teachers matter and we need to shout it loud and proud! I wish you all the best of luck on your journeys! I’m off to the classroom!

Take Time for Coffee

Take Time for Coffee

This is How it Goes.

I still can’t quite believe I’m here. This will be my last post as a graduate student. Next week I’ll begin my full-time teaching position at Plato Learning Academy. I’ll …

Elementary Education MAT Danielle Holtz, danielle.holtz@loop.colum.edu
600 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL 60605

The Graduate Experience