“Privat” Opening in Frankfurt

“Privat” Opening in Frankfurt

20121101-060619.jpg
I’m off again, this time to Frankfurt. Right at the end of last year I was approached via email about having work included in a show at the Schirn Kunsthalle in Frankfurt.

20121101-060650.jpg
I accepted the offer and, at the time, thought that it was only a four person show, since there were only three other artists listed on the website for the show. However, a few months ago, when the final press release was issued for the show, I found out that a number of excellent artists, as well as a number of people whose work I admire, were also in the show. It was of even greater surprise when the Schirn decided to use two of my images for the invitation and exhibition poster. It was at that point that I decided to come to the opening.

Since the travel was to be somewhat expensive, the chair of our program, Peter Fitzpatrick, suggested I try writing a travel grant proposal. I wrote one, and it was accepted, which means this little (very productive) outing will not be nearly as expensive as I had imagined.

20121101-060909.jpg
Today was an epic day, and at the time of writing this, is still only half over. It began with me hopping on a plane, straight from my TA job at Columbia. I made it to the airport just in time to board my flight. (I have become a master at getting to the airport just in time.) It was a long, 9-hour flight to Frankfurt, but I luckily just avoided the chaos of hurricane Sandy. I tried to sleep but was mostly unsuccessful.

Upon arriving in Frankfurt, it was all “go”. I arrived at 9:30am and went straight to the Schirn. The press conference was scheduled for 11am, and they had thought it would be nice if I could be there. I got there and was able to see a bit of the show before the press conference. There were tv cameras everywhere.

20121101-060819.jpg
After the press conference, I did a small interview with an Austrian news program, which lasted about 25 minutes, then got into a conversation with another journalist.

20121101-060854.jpg
I had lunch with the director, curators, and a few other artists. After lunch, it was time for the big interview with Arte, a German and French television channel. I was doing a piece for the show Tracks, which will air in late November. That lasted three hours. I still have more shooting to do for it when I get back to Chicago, but for now, that’s all they needed.

20121101-060804.jpg
Finally, around 5pm, I got to see my hotel. I was able to shower and unpack a few things, then it was off to dinner and the opening.

20121101-060726.jpg
The opening was packed. This was, by far, the largest and most prestigious show I have been involved in. I don’t know how many people were there, but it was so full that I could barely walk through the large space.

20121101-060704.jpg
After the opening, we took a bunch of cars to a private after party for the artists, curators, and museum staff (basically, anyone who was connected with the show). That was really nice too, but I was exhausted and couldn’t stay too long.

As I write this, it is 11pm, and I am back at the hotel. It has been an absolutely exhausting 36 hours, but it has also been quite wonderful.

20121101-060634.jpg
Tomorrow it’s off to Berlin! Aufwiedersehen.