A Fruit Full Summer

Mulberry Farms

Mulberry Farms

The summer has arrived. And with it has come some much needed time off. But something else has come along with it…strawberries.

My wife has been waiting to go strawberry picking for months, and now that the weather is warmer, that time has arrived. So over the memorial day weekend, we made the trip south to Mulberry Farms which offered “pick your own strawberries.” It was a little bit of a drive, but it was fun to get out of the city for a while.

Me with our 7 lbs of strawdaddies

We picked for about 45 minutes and came away with around two gallons (7lbs) of strawberries. When thinking in Whole Foods prices, it’s a lot. But when “picking your own”, the total came to $20.

Bright Red Berries

We ate a lunch that we had packed on a picnic table they had and then headed home. It was a successful trip. When we got home, my wife got to work preparing the berries for freezing. We left a few out for eating, strawberry lemonade (which I made in the afternoon), and of course…strawberry ice cream (which was the first thing my wife did when we got home).

Homemade Strawberry Icecream

Now our freezer is full, but we are already planning our next trip.