Cubs Game

I recently had the opportunity to enjoy an experience that visitors to Chicago often put on their “to do” lists: I saw a Chicago Cubs baseball game at the historic Wrigley Field.

Wrigley Field is a Chicago landmark.  Built in 1914, it has housed the Chicago Cubs since 1916, when the first Major League Baseball game was played there.  It is the second oldest MLB ballpark in the country (Boston’s Fenway Park is the oldest), and it – along with the Chicago Cubs team – has a unique historic feel that sets it apart from other stadiums.

The field is situated in a neighborhood of Chicago that has grown around it known as “Wrigleyville.”  Known for its lively bar scene and its dedication to the Cubbies, Wrigleyville is definitely a stop worth seeing for baseball fans: there’s simply nowhere else like it in the United States. [flickr id=”7158545378″ thumbnail=”medium” overlay=”true” size=”original” group=”” align=”none”]

It had been several years since I had been to a Cubs game (I’m a Chicago native, so I’ve been fortunate enough to see them play before), and being at the game was a very pleasant experience.  It’s not at all like watching baseball on TV.  In a sports world dominated by ESPN’s glossy coverage, it’s easy to forget that underneath the repackaging and the replays lies a game that is very organic at its core.

Being at the ballpark, it’s easy to see what baseball is, stripped down to its core: one man trying to hit a ball onto the field and score, with nine men trying to stop his progress.  It was satisfying to watch the game play out live, right before my eyes, hot dog in hand.

As the summer rolls on, I’ll definitely be back to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs play again.  It’s an experience you can only have in Chicago!