Reflections on Rome J-term: Exhibition Management

J-term students spent two weeks in Rome investigating exhibitions and cultural sites in and around the ancient city. Through first-hand observation, research, and reflection, students analyzed differing approaches to curatorial direction, exhibition design and production, interpretive methodologies, use of technology, and marketing and communication strategies. This two-week program, led by Associate Professor Bob Blandford, allows students to earn three credit hours toward their Spring Semester.

“I had a fantastic time in Rome with Bob Blandford and Randy Albers. Despite having such a passion for museums, I realized that I had lost appreciation for the treasures within them. Bob challenged us to really stop and look at individual pieces, not to snap a picture and walk away. Randy suggested that whenever you see a group of people taking pictures, turn around, they’re often overlooking something even more beautiful.”
-Alexia Tillman, Visual Arts Management / Art History

“The Topics in Writing Abroad Rome J-Term was a life changing experience and one that had a great impact on [my] growth as an arts administrator. Apart from being a new cultural experience, the course helped my writing develop and was a great exercise in the act of “seeing” versus “looking.” The writing exercises incorporated the various sites we visited and made us critically question and understand what we were looking at. As an arts administrator specializing in the visual arts, these critical thinking exercises were invaluable.”
-Alonso TapiaBenitez, Master of Arts Management

“I learned a lot about myself, including how to adapt to an unfamiliar culture quickly, and the Creative Writing course was quite the challenge (the good kind). Rome taught me to slow down. Living in a society that is constantly “go, go, go!” has more than doubled my anxiety, but in Rome, “taking your time” is a pastime, which has taught me that it’s okay to take a deep breath and to take actions that are more purposeful. The “No Wi-Fi” (although frustrating at times) was actually quite refreshing. I was able to unplug and engage with the world around me. It was nice to “disconnect” from social media and really participate in life. I think it’s so easy to get lost in social media – I can spend hours browsing through the content on Facebook and Instagram. I find that I am wishing for a better, more “photograph-able” lifestyle – but why live through images, when you can live in them? In Rome, I did just that.”
-Caroline Ruark, Master of Arts Management

“Studying abroad in Rome was an amazing experience, both academically and personally. I took part in the Exhibition Management course while in Rome, and as someone whose background is in theatre and not visual arts, I learned so much about how to approach exhibitions and historical sites, both as a visitor and as an arts manager. My eyes were opened to new ways of telling stories, creating an experience for audiences, and connecting people to one another and to the site or exhibition in front of them. Moreover, I was able to relate storytelling through theatre to storytelling through exhibitions and historical sites, further exploring the theme of why and how we connect people to one another and to the stories we tell. On a more personal level, the study abroad program in Rome helped me to slow down, take in all of the scenes around me and appreciate not just the beauty and culture that was surrounding me, but also the different perspectives on how to live day to day and what it means to leave your mark on the world.”
-Beth Zupec, Master of Arts Management

“Rome was amazing. I have never been to Italy, and had traveled to Europe only once before. It was really an experience that made me pause for a moment and reexamine my values and priorities in life, and consider shaking things up. A lot of the city’s history is a reminder of death; how close it is, and how easily the modern builds itself on top of the ancient. We are all just layers and layers of history, just as the city is. The trip to Rome helped us not only uncover the city’s stories, but start to examine our own.”
-Emily Chernovy, Master of Arts Management

“The only word that could be used to describe the Rome J-term is outstanding. Whether you are the first time visitor of Rome or you have just come back to this eternal city, this program will meet your expectations. The schedule is intensive, but not overwhelming. You could find the delicate thought of the program designer in the combination of the site visits and the course setup. The supportive system of this program is awesome as well. The staff of the hotel, the guide, the Prof. Valentina, they are all very helpful.”
-Tian Xiao, Master of Arts Management