Alumni Spotlight: Jordan Carriere (’12)

Alumni Spotlight: Jordan Carriere (’12)

Alumni_Jordan

Jordan Carriere (’12) is a successful alumnus of the Arts, Entertainment & Media Management program (now Business & Entrepreneurship). The following interview shares his experience in the program and advice for current and prospective students.

What is your current job and how did you get there?

I am currently working as Agent Assistant to one of the Partners in our agency, Monterey International.  I started out as an Intern in May of ’11 and after three months was hired on part-time to manage the marketing and promo for the roster.  After one year, I was hired on full-time to track and issue contracts.  In October of ’13 I was promoted to Agent Assistant and was moved to my current bosses’ desk that January.

What field are you working in?

Monterey International is a talent agency with offices in Chicago, IL, and Carmel, CA, representing approximately 150 artists.  Genres range from Blues, Jazz, Comedy, Classic Rock to Pop, Reggae and beyond.  As an Agent Assistant, I am responsible for day-to-day relations with management and promoters and all logistics such as managing offers, confirmation details and issuing contracts.  In addition, I help develop routing strategy and book the artists we represent.  Some of the artists I work with directly are Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughan, Jonny Lang, Keb’ Mo’, Robert Randolph, Whitesnake, John 5 from Rob Zombie and the Experience Hendrix Tour.

How did the business program at Columbia prepare you for what you do now?

From Entrepreneurship to Talent Management, the courses I was able to take gave me a strong foundation for not only the business, but life in general.  Whether it’s writing a professional email or developing a business plan, there are core lessons that need to be learned and the business program helps to instill these.

What was your most valuable Columbia experience?

My most valuable Columbia experience was undoubtedly my internship with my current company.  Not only did I find the listing on the ColumbiaWorks Web Portal, but also received credit for the time I spent working and learning.  What I learned during that internship was what got me hired and gave me a crash course into real world office dynamics and the music business in general.

Were there any particular professors who have made a significant impact on you? How?

Although I had countless professors who made a significant impact on my career, the one professor that helped me grow the most was Louis Silverstein.  I took Peace Studies with Professor Silverstein in Spring of ’12.  The materials we read and the intelligent, open-minded conversations he guided us through were nothing short of profound.  It wasn’t a business course, but the lessons I learned have helped me better manage my everyday life, especially working in such a stressful environment.

In what way did your Business degree help your career?

The process of getting my degree was what helped me get my job.  I think the most important thing was that I was able to finish.  Columbia gave me the ability to cater my schedule to my work needs, which is what helped set me apart.  Many people aren’t able to finish due to a variety of different reasons and having a degree is a great way to set yourself apart.

Do you have any advice for current Columbia students?

Look at everyday as a new learning experience.  Continue to develop your skills and find new ways to redefine yourself.  There is always something new to learn from every situation in work and in life.  Set short-term and long-term goals for yourself and really think about what you need to do to get there.  In my experience, breaking them down can help make them more attainable.