Uncertainties/Possibilities

Uncertainties/Possibilities

New year, no possibilities!

New year, new possibilities!

The end of a year (academic as well as calendar year) always prompts people to look back. It is a time of reflection and evaluation, to see what went well and what did not. This year it also forces me to look forward. For me, 2016 will be a year of change and uncertainty. Graduation, starting to work on my master thesis, uncertainty if I will be able to stay in the U.S. or not… there are many things I cannot control or foresee.

In June I will have wrapped up my internship, and already in May I will cross the stage at the Chicago Theatre as part of Columbia’s graduation ceremony. However, because of the way the Dance/Movement Therapy & Counseling program is structured, I will only receive an empty folder as a symbol of my graduation. I still have to participate in one more class in June (career development) and finish my master thesis to receive my certificate.

Graduation May 2016…and then?

Graduation May 2016… and then?

Also starting in June, I will work on my master thesis. As of now, I will conduct qualitative research in form of an artistic inquiry, focusing on the importance of integration in the development of my professional identity. I am excited that I will have the time to fully indulge in this self-study, using different art forms to generate knowledge. At the same time it is hard to imagine myself in that process. I have experience in writing a 100-page bachelor’s thesis, but conducting my own empirical research related to personal experiences feels much more challenging and unforeseeable. Nevertheless, I have to say that I am also excited about the freedom I gain without having to go to classes or work on the weekend at my internship site.

Of course, finances are also causing me quite a headache. All my scholarships cover the time until graduation, and there are hardly any that cover research projects after graduation, even if those are necessary to complete a degree. Even if, theoretically, I would have more time to work, as an international student I am not allowed to work off campus or more than 20 hours on campus (which I am already doing). Therefore, at this point I basically do not have any idea how I should finance my stay in the United States after graduation.

Regardless of all those uncertainties and challenges, I am looking forward to 2016. Uncertainties and challenges aren’t just “bad”—they also offer opportunities for development and unlimited possibilities. Because there is nothing set in stone, I can use all my creativity to shape my life the way I want to. I can stay in Chicago or I can go somewhere else, either in the United States or anywhere in the world.

In that sense, happy new year! :)

Not all those who wander are lost!

Not all those who wander are lost!