Goodbye, MarginAliens!

Goodbye, MarginAliens!

11206026_10152921418017399_8447382712224375014_n

Goodbye, my friends. It is with a light heart that I leave you in the capable hands of the new ambassador, Brittany! I say “light heart” because I am so excited to graduate and move on in this crazy life. Columbia was a good four years where I was able to work with some amazing professors. But, as all things must, it is time for that experience to end and for new ones to begin.

There are a few highlights in my four year career that I want to go over so you know a few things to look forward to.

1. Amazing specialty courses. I know I talk about this all the time, but Story and Performance changed the course of my writing career. This class is a must. Because of it, I have told numerous stories around the city with great places like 2nd Story, You’re Being Ridiculous, Wit Rabbit, Outspoken!, and Story Club. I look forward to working with different series in the future, and I’ve made so many great friends from these story telling experiences. Laurie Lawlor’s Young Adult Fiction classes are also incredible.
  2. Working with an amazing thesis advisor. Ann Hemenway kicked so much ass as a thesis advisor, reading entire drafts of my novel a few times in addition to reading large chunks. She devoted a few weekends to meeting with me when I got a full-time job that wouldn’t allow for meeting during the week, and her comments really helped shape my novel-in-progress-that-is-almost-done.
  3. Meeting some awesome friends. There were some amazing people I met through the program and through working at the Writing Center.
  4. Working as an ambassador. I got to talk with students interested in the program and share my experience in the program with them. It’s been great working with them and my other ambassadors, and it’s been great working with Kara, David, and Caitlynn in the Graduate Admissions Office!

I’m so excited for you all starting out next semester and those that have been following the blog for longer.

Goodbye, all! Feel free to follow my personal Twitter handle, @pstockk, to keep up with what I’m working on.