Art and Games: Adrienne Ciskey

Art and Games: Adrienne Ciskey

Illustration by Wesley Hall

Illustration by Wesley Hall

Adrienne Ciskey is a third year candidate in the Interdisciplinary Arts and Media program who has been creating a lot of cool work that incorporates gaming in one way or another.

Could you introduce yourself and talk generally about your work ?
My work currently revolves around tabletop games, such as board games and tabletop RPGs. I believe that games are important because they allow connections between individuals that go beyond just simple conversations, especially non-digital games that allow the players to create worlds with each other instead of just investigating a world, like in a video game.”

Could you talk about some of your work before Columbia?
Before I came to Columbia, I had worked professionally as a photographer and graphic designer. My undergraduate photography work was an exploration of mythology and its importance to the human experience.

Could you talk about a project you are currently working on?
My thesis project is a series of board games that deal with the experience of having a chronic invisible illness. I suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome and hypothyroidism, and I think it is important to allow people to understand what having an illness that others can’t see feels like. I feel like board games are a great way to allow people to experience something like this.

What has been a highlight from your time in the Interdisciplinary Arts & Media program?
In addition to expanding my conceptual practice by exposing myself to different media and techniques, I’ve also been lucky to get involved in teaching experiences at both the college and k-12 level. I’ve found that I am very passionate about education, and love bringing games into classroom settings. I loved being a teaching assistant in the Interactive Arts and Media program, where I got to work with Interdisciplinary Arts MA alum Eden Unulata.

Be sure to check out more of Adrienne’s Awesome work at www.ten23.net
Photo by Dan Ciskey

Photo by Dan Ciskey