Learning Beyond Graduate School

[flickr id=”9271785809″ thumbnail=”medium” overlay=”true” size=”medium” group=”” align=”none”]Last time I wrote to you all about how quickly my summer has been going by. With my job starting teacher training next week, I think my summer is actually coming to a bit of a close. I’m excited but a little nervous at the same time about starting work. As a first year, I’ve got a vague idea of what things will be like from student teaching, but deep down I know I don’t know what to really expect this school year. I’ve been told several times that your first year of teaching teaches you more than both years of grad school combined–not to say grad school isn’t worth it! My point is the exact opposite. I’ve already had several moments in the classroom where a bell goes off in my mind and I know I’ve been specifically trained to plan for or respond to certain situations whether behavioral or curriculum related. I know it will be a great experience!

[flickr id=”9287580076″ thumbnail=”medium_640″ overlay=”true” size=”medium_640″ group=”” align=”none”]

Meanwhile, in other summer 2013 news, I’ve been trying to soak up these last few days of summer as a grad student! My best friend got married this past Saturday, so my time has been filled with wedding festivities, bachelorette parties, and bridal showers. I’ve been bridesmaiding it up these past few weekends, and now I’m pooped.

I’m also working to finish my capstone project by the end of next week. I’ve just got one section left, but in true grad student form, I’m in avoidance. Deep avoidance. I just want to be free, and my capstone won’t let me. It will happen though. Someone comment on this blog next week to see if I’m close to finished. I’ll be honest! I think a little accountability will do me good  and keep me focused!

That’s all for now… I’m serious about the capstone check in!