Hello Everyone!

Hello Everyone!

Joshua Young, Creative Writing - Poetry MFA Ambassador

This is the first blog post I’m making for Marginalia. I’m excited about this role in Columbia College Chicago’s community and hope, over the next year, you enjoy these posts, or at least find them relevant or helpful or entertaining.

My full name is Joshua Brian Young. My twin brother’s name is Caleb. My little brother’s name is Jordan. My sister’s is Cana. My parents named us after a narrative. “Joshua and Caleb crossed the Jordan’s river into Cana’s land.” I grew up in Seattle, and when I say Seattle, I mean I grew up in Mountlake Terrace, about twenty minutes north of Seattle. However, we drove to Seattle for many things…that still counts right? I spent most of my twenties in Bellingham, Washington where I went to undergrad and grad school at Western Washington University. I played in bands there. I made films there. I met my wife there at a Red Elvis show in a bar across the street from where I would live when we started dating. Bellingham will always be my home. Let me correct that: Washington will always be my home (Western Washington. Eastern Washington, not so much). I spent a year at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces studying Poetry in the MFA program before I left for Columbia College Chicago. I took a year break and lived in Seattle (Bothell), and my wife and I had a baby (she did all the work, obviously). I worked and taught Composition classes, while my wife and Elliot stayed at home. We moved to Chicago two days before Orientation last year. Right now, my son is running around the house, screaming, “Go-go! Go-go!”

So, there’s a bit of history for you. But let’s talk about the now:

I’m starting my second and final year at Columbia College Chicago. I teach First Year Writing, work in the Writing Center at the Learning Studio, and work as Poetry Programs Assistant, as well as do the school thing and the father and husband things. I am the author of two books, When the Wolves Quit: A Play-in-Verse (Gold Wake Press) and To the Chapel of Light (Mud Luscious Press/Nephew), and one forthcoming book, written with Chas Hoppe called The Diegesis (Gold Wake Press 2013).

Those of you starting your first year, remember that a program relies on its community. So get out there and meet people. Go to readings, meet up for drinks and food, hang out, and write and read like crazy. Those of you starting your second year with me, let’s make this a good one. Those of you reading this because you’re curious, or interested, or just looking for something to read, keep coming back. I will keep posting. This will be a busy year of schooling, teaching, job interviewing, publishing, and a little book-touring. I plan to post about things you might find useful or maybe things that you may find interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Till next time,

Josh