The Introverted Journalist

[flickr id=”6793551053″ thumbnail=”medium_640″ overlay=”true” size=”original” group=”” align=”none”]

“Journalism is the art of asking rude questions of complete strangers,” said Columbia journalism professor Norma Green on our very first day of class. I didn’t want to believe her, because, frankly, the concept was terrifying.

Since I started at Columbia, I’ve asked dozens of people about their age, their income, their religious affiliations, and who they’ve voted for– which pretty much rounds out the list of things my mom taught me not to discuss with strangers.

But believe it or not, I am an introvert. I love working with people and building relationships, but meeting new people is a big drain on my emotional resources, and journalism is all about getting out there and meeting people.

Think of it like this: an extrovert is like a solar panel, sucking in energy from meeting new people and being in big groups. An introvert is more like a battery that uses energy for meeting and mingling, needing to re-charge with quiet time.

So how do I balance my desire to stay in with a good book with the need to put myself out there and get the story?

Set little goals: Baby steps. I like to make a checklist and just run down it. Instead of worrying about getting a hold of every single source I need for a story, I focus on calling just one person or getting in touch with someone from just one organization.

Prepare thoroughly: It helps for me to prepare as much as time allows and then write out some of my questions before an interview. I tend to have a flexible, conversational interviewing style, but if I write out my questions I feel more confident and knowledgeable. Plus, I’m able to check my notes and make sure all my questions were answered.

Don’t procrastinate: If I put things off, the task in front of me ceases to be a simple phone call or office visit and snowballs into some epically monstrous task. But once I get started, it’s easy to keep going. I dial the numbers and hit send as quickly as I can. I reach out for a handshake and just say hi. Honestly, getting started is the hardest part.

Be mindful: Sometimes it helps me to acknowledge what it is I’m feeling. Nervous? Inferior? Uncomfortably intrusive? I may feel like I’m being predatory when I shove my camera or recorder in the face of someone feeling vulnerable to capture a personal moment. So I respect those emotions. But I also reassure myself of my empathy, professionalism, and my task to provide the public with the information I’m about to get.

Stay curious: People are some of the most interesting “texts” in the world. Everyone has a story to share with you, if you’re willing to listen. I got into journalism because I’m insatiably curious. When I start to get nervous, I remind myself why I’m here and give myself permission to be as (respectfully) nosy as need be.