Getting To Know Our Students: Taylor Koski

Taylor is a freshman at Columbia College. She is killing it in the Arts Management world and we wanted to find out more!

How did you get involved in arts management?

I got involved in arts management when I was 15 years old and was invited to be a student representative on the board of directors for Superior Arts Youth Theater. 

What is the most valuable lesson you have learned so far being on the board of directors of Superior Arts Youth Theater?

I think one of the most valuable things that I have learned is just the general operations of a board of directors. Looking at budgets, planning seasons, writing successful grants, etc. I am a month into school here at Columbia College Chicago but have already touched on all of these subjects in my classes. The knowledge I already had has allowed me to confidently lead successful discussions in my classes. 

You have some great experience in fundraising. What advice do you have for someone planning a fundraiser for an organization like Superior Arts Youth Theater?

The biggest thing you have to keep in mind while you are planning a fundraiser is the audience you are directing the fundraiser at. Keep in mind who your regular seasonal donors are and then try to reach out to other community members through fundraisers that interest those people. This sometimes looks like doing things that aren’t necessarily related to your organization but are outside the box to get people with different interests involved in donating to your organization.

What is DataArts? How did DataArts help the organizations you were part of?

DataArts is a database for organizations, researchers, and advocates. Arts Organizations can enter data from their season for other organizations to compare, researchers can gain information on types of organizations, and advocates can use this information to look at where they should spend their time and money. DataArts helped Superior Arts Youth Theater by allowing us to look at other youth theaters’ information and highlighting what makes us special in the grant writing process. 

For someone trying to get into arts management, in your opinion, what is the best way to get involved with an organization like Superior Arts Youth Theater?

The first step to getting involved in any organization is to volunteer! Showing your interest and dedication to an organization will help leaders to gain trust in you. From my experience, over time my volunteering led me to leadership positions and eventually a place on the board of directors. 

How is Columbia helping you to further your knowledge about Arts Management?

Something that is unique about Columbia that I know is helping me expand my knowledge is that most of our faculty are currently working in the industry. On a weekly basis, our professors are telling us stories and keeping us updated on what’s going on in the arts management world right now. This is incredibly important in an ever changing industry.