On the Campaign Trail

On the Campaign Trail

Watching Hillary Clinton at a rally in Des Moines, IA

Watching Hillary Clinton at a rally in Des Moines, Iowa!

Talk about an exciting weekend!

Wondering how my classmate got this picture? It all started with course registration last November…

I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited for classes to start as I was at the beginning of this semester.

When I first applied to Columbia, we were asked to look over the course catalog and choose some classes that piqued our interest. As soon as I saw the Covering Politics: 2016 Presidential Election, I was HOOKED.

I’ve been interested in politics since I was little. I remember “voting” in first grade waaaay back in 1996 between Clinton and Dole and being super excited when “the guy who played the sax on TV” won.

Yup, this guy.

Yup, this guy.

Since then, I couldn’t get enough. I spent the next 20 years reading, watching and learning anything I could get my hands on.

In 2007, the day finally came: I turned 18.

The girl that had spent her life eagerly following every campaign finally had the chance to have her voice heard.

I could vote.

I instantly got involved in the campaign of a little known Illinois senator whose name rhymes with DaRock YoMama, and helped lead the student delegation as a Chicago captain while canvassing in Iowa.

Once in college, I majored in political science, convinced I would one day become a politician, just like my idols before me.

Fast-forward to almost four years later, and while I’m not looking to become a politician right now (never say never!), I’m still as interested in politics as ever.

So, when the time came to register for classes, I couldn’t sign up fast enough.

After an anxious and excited winter break, the semester officially started the week of January 25 and we hit the ground running.

First stop: the Iowa Caucus.

Guess Who?!

We left school early on Saturday morning and have been working ever since. We each got to pick the candidate we wanted to cover and, without hesitation, I picked Hillary Clinton.

She’s been one of my heroes for as long as I can remember and I couldn’t wait to follow the campaign and learn as much as I could.

I’m also excited to see what it’s like to view the political process as a member of the media. Talk about an eye-opening experience!

Being impartial hasn’t been the easiest, but I’m glad that I’m doing it while in the Journalism, MA program.

Having an amazing teacher like Suzanne McBride guiding us in the process has been nothing short of wonderful. She’s been incredibly helpful and ready and willing to answer any question we might have. It’s been such a gift.

With the caucus on Monday, there’s still plenty to see and I can’t wait to soak it all up.

At the end of this month, we’ll be traveling to Columbia, South Carolina, to cover the primary election.

If that trip is anything like this one, I know I’m in for a treat!