Digital Marketing Boot Camp

Digital Marketing Boot Camp

SVA Theatre Marquee

SVA Theatre Marquee

They say that boot camp isn’t meant to break recruits, but to make individuals strong and capable. It’s meant to provide the basic skills necessary to perform the roles that will be asked of you. Recently I underwent boot camp, although it’s definitely not the type you would traditionally think of. I had the privilege to attend the Digital Marketing Boot Camp for the Arts, just two weeks ago in New York City. Hosted by Capacity Interactive, this two-day conference allowed me to 100% focus on digital marketing for arts and cultural organizations. Let’s just say, I’ve got some pretty big digital marketing muscles to flex for ya’ll.

Day 1

I arrived to the SVA Theatre (the beautiful venue hosting the conference) ready to meet active arts marketers who were equally as excited about the role that digital marketing has and will continue to have in the performing arts industry. Luckily for me, I was able to secure a spot as a student volunteer (which meant free admission in exchange for minor set-up and clean-up). Seriously, more conferences need to offer that opportunity to students! The first day was an abundance of meeting the Capacity Interactive staff, running some coffee errands (because arts marketers are essentially addicted to their coffee), attending fantastic sessions, and networking with some key arts marketers across the country. The sessions for the day mainly focused on getting user experience right, quick tips for digital copy success, turning patrons into digital evangelists, creating a culture of innovation, and the many facets of developing content (i.e. creating strong content with limited resources, creating a content-driven website, etc.). Once the day’s sessions had come to a close, the opportunity for cocktails and networking arose and before I knew it the first day of the conference was completed!

Session

A captivating session on how to develop content strategy that will draw people in

Day 2

The second day of the conference was just as impactful as the first. Session topics included cutting print ads and creating videos, taking the fear out of google analytics (yes, I admit I am one of many who are fearful), utilizing tweet seats for audience engagement, mobile matters, the realities of building a 21st century website, and digital marketing with meaning. I was extremely grateful to attend a majority of these sessions, primarily because so many of them intertwine with what the New Media Strategies and Strategic Planning courses are currently teaching me at Columbia. It was wonderful to witness how arts organizations can successfully implement these tactics and for those who aren’t quite successful yet, knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Summary

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure what to expect upon attending this conference. Ironically I had heard about it via an ad on my Facebook newsfeed (go figure, they definitely targeted me well). Yet after having this experience, I am so grateful that I took a risk and made the effort to enhance my knowledge during a crazy-busy semester. This conference allowed me to expand the basic marketing skills and knowledge I’ve been acquiring at Columbia, making me feel that much more prepared to tackle arts marketing post-graduation. It’s always difficult to juggle classes, work, and somehow include professional development. If you have the ability to attend a conference while completing your MAM degree, I highly suggest doing it. After all, you never know who you’ll meet, what you’ll learn, or where it will take you moving forward!

Post-boot camp selfie with Alex, a fellow student volunteer and a new friend!