Round Three

Round Three

Lake Meets Sky

Lake Meets Sky

It’s finally here, the beginning of the end of my MFA journey!

I’ve officially begun my third and final year in CCC’s nonfiction MFA program. I’m diving into three brand new experiences: officially beginning my thesis hours, starting a new job, and beginning a new internship. What does a third year in this program look like?

Mine’s a little something like this:
Internship, work, write thesis, drink all the coffee, write some more, try to read everything I want, keep writing, meet with my thesis advisor, discuss, edit, and revise. And then write some more.

I’ve finished my coursework requirements for the program, so this year will be only thesis hours for me. It’s exciting but also really strange to think that I won’t be going into the classroom next week with everyone else.

Summer Blooms

Summer Blooms

It also means I’ll have to develop a new schedule and writing practice to get everything done, especially since I’m working 40 hours a week between my internship (with an awesome organization called 826CHI) and my job. It sounds like a lot, but it’s nothing I can’t handle after four semesters of 12+ hour days (some days 14 hours!).  Luckily (or maybe unluckily depending on who you ask) since I just moved to Rogers Park on the far north side, I’ll have lots of commute time for reading and writing. I’m pretty much going to be a multitasking wizard, so watch out.

Little House on the (rooftop) Prairie

Little House on the (rooftop) Prairie

So in these last few days before going back to the grind, I’ve enjoyed the last bits of summer by sleeping in (and snuggling with my cats), reading on the beach (and maybe dipping my toes in the chilly waters of Lake Michigan), running, and taking advantage of the warm and sunny weather before seasons change (I’m not ready to say the “W” word just yet!). I’ve planned my reading lists, organized my ideas and research for my thesis, made outlines and notes, and made schedules for all the work I have to do (employment and writing) but there’s only so much you can plan when diving into so many new things at once. I’m ready to roll with whatever this year brings.