TECHNOLOGY & FILMMAKING : Tools for Future Filmmakers

15829923153_4fceb9e7c1_oFilmmaking is a process that will teach you something new at every turn. It’s true. Or so it feels like this semester. As things start to wrap up in my final few weeks here at Columbia, I have come to understand that my education has truly just begun. Whether I am in India filming in a completely new country, or whether I am back in Chicago pulling together last minute logistics for another thesis film—I have been turning around to find another lesson everywhere I go.

If I could go back to the beginning of this school year and redo it, there would be a lot of things I might want to approach differently or give myself a heads up about, but I can’t do that. I can only look forward and be excited by the new knowledge I have gained and skills that I have honed. I am anxious now for my next project and how much more I want to accomplish than on the last project.

One of the reasons for my anxiousness is getting to go back and utilize some the new tools and resources I have discovered along the way. A large number of amazing technologies, programs, and apps exist that can be huge assets in the filmmaking process. We don’t always discuss them in class, but it’s clear that these kinds of tools will be what equips future filmmakers.

Most enable you to get more creative, more detailed, more organized, and most can help you make more meaningful stories because of the sheer fact that they make you more prepared. One of the things that I find myself saying frequently is “Oh, I wish I knew about…” this or that sooner. So as I head into my final semester here, I want to dedicate this post to sharing some of what I have found to be incredibly useful tools to have in your filmmaker tool belt. Whether you’re one of our first-year MFA students or someone just starting out—take a look at these examples on how to make your film planning more manageable.

Shot Lister

Shot Lister

Shot Lister has been one of my best friends on production sets for over a year now. From my first mini project to massive thesis films, this app has helped me become a better planner and manager of time. Shot Lister is a tool that every First Assistant Director/filmmaker should have. The program allows you to schedule film shoots by first uploading scripts or inputting shot lists manually. It then helps you to create a schedule and plan for your day, listing out all of the gear and equipment needed, storyboard panels, etc.  It times everything out and let’s you know when you’re in the red or the green for your day.

Shot Designer

Shot Designer

Overheads. We all need them on set but they can be a daunting task to accomplish at times.  Shot Designer is a program that was recommended to me fairly recently and it was a huge help in getting the proportions of elements more appropriate, helping me to figure out exact perspectives with ease, and overall gave me a lot more flexibility in overhead creation than drawing by hand can offer.

Artemis Director’s Viewfinder

Artemis Director’s Viewfinder

The Artemis Director’s Viewfinder is a tool that I have seen come in handy on a handful of sets now. The app can be downloaded onto your phone and used to reproduce the framing of any camera, aspect ration, and lens combination. On my last set, this app was very useful both in preproduction to plan shots and on the fly when needing to make quick decisions on set.

Asana Project Manager 

In the short time that I have used Asana, I can say that it’s value is already clear.  An application such as this allows project managers or producers to input task items, plan deadlines and schedules, and interact with team members to see the progress of a project.  It’s important to be organized when planning out the creation and life of a film and applications like this help to make it more manageable.

Google Sketchup

Google SketchUp

Time and time again, I have found that many of my colleagues enjoy using Google SketchUp as a way to create storyboards and set models. We can’t all draw and we can’t always afford to bring on a talented artist for this role. However, a tool like this allows for ease in shot planning and pre-visualization.

ScriptE

ScriptE

While most students and indie filmmakers are going to be on a budget, sometimes investing in programs as cool as ScriptE can be incredibly worthwhile. I’ve been on a few sets now with script supervisors that utilize this software and I could not be more impressed by the power that the program possesses and how much weight it takes off the continuity role. The program allows for script importing, lining on set, image capture, and report processing.

If you’re looking for more tools like this, don’t worry—there are a ton out there. Check out this site for even more useful recommendations.