New year, new you…

New year, new you…

It’s 2015! All that it’s-a-new-year-and-new-you jazz, but most importantly 2015 means hoverboards and flying cars, right? Well, at least someone is making a hoverboard prototype, and I guess there’s a car that changes into a small airplane so maybe there’s that, but still no self-tying shoes or self-drying jackets, but there’s plenty of time, it’s only January. I guess, in all seriousness, the biggest thing is going to happen this year for me is I will be finally graduating with my MFA.

I’m all registered for my final semester at Columbia College Chicago, and I’m pretty excited about this semester. This time around I’m taking four classes: three three-credit hour courses, and one single-credit course. I’ll be working on some animation and video stuff in Image, Time, & Motion, and doing some work toward site-specific things with Space and Place along with Thesis 2 which leads into the big thesis gallery installation. The single-credit course I’m taking, Pre-Paper Technologies meets for the first three weeks of the semester. The thing I’m most excited about with my schedule is that after the first three weeks, I only have class on Mondays and Thursday and have ample studio time for the rest of the week!

As excited as I am that this will be my last semester, I’m also terrified. I have been a full time student for so long, it’s going to be a big transition going out into the world. I came here to the Interdisciplinary Book and Paper Arts, MFA straight from finishing my BFA in drawing at Northern Illinois University. It’ll have been seven straight years of college when I’m done. The goal for me is to find a teaching position somewhere right after I get out, playing on the other side of academia. Teaching last semester was probably the biggest highlight of my time here at Columbia College, and I can’t wait to get back to it again.

One of the biggest plus sides to finishing is that I will not have to fill out my FAFSA ever again! Speaking of which, REMEMBER TO FILL OUT YOUR FAFSA AS SOON AS YOU CAN! And make sure to follow up with Student Financial Services once you do, in case you need them to adjust your budget. That was something I learned. Since I have a family, it’s been crucial to have them adjust my budget to factor them in so that we can make ends-meet during the school year. It ends up meaning more debt in the end, but way less stress when you are trying to succeed in your classes.

We still have a couple more week before the Spring Semester starts up, which is great because I have a few projects in queue that I want to finish before then. For now, remember to stay warm and invest in thermals. I’ll see you all in a few weeks for the home stretch!