Winter Break in Montana

Winter Break in Montana

Red Lodge, Montana

After a difficult but successful semester, I am glad to be back in Montana for break. The amount of composing was intense, especially during the last month of class. The animation screening on the 11th was a nice way to end the semester, with a very full theater and encouraging feedback from the audience. The animations are still in progress, and I can’t wait to continue working with the incredible animators next semester.

Over the last week, I have been traveling around my home state of Montana, showing my fellow classmate Faraz some cool views and excellent live music. It’s been great to visit friends and family. This break will be the perfect time to catch up on my ever growing list of films, games, shows, and albums I’ve yet to experience. When you are very focused on a project, you often don’t have time to see the latest movies or research a new album. I’ve found separating the process of composition and listening to new music can help you be more creative. For the first half of my break, I plan on catching up on Legend of Korra (music by Jeremy Zuckerman) and a large goal of watching every film created by Studio Ghibli (20 films!)

Red Lodge, Montana

My second half of the break I am setting aside to work on my upcoming recording sessions. Three recording sessions with roughly a 20 piece orchestra will be spread across the spring semester. I plan on utilizing the string and woodwind players to provide some melodic expression, sweetening the electronic base. I am excited to start writing for these sessions in Montana, where there will be little distractions or city noises.

Bozeman, Montana

Wandering Wild – Bozeman, Montana