Alumni Spotlight: Malorie McGee

Alumni Spotlight: Malorie McGee

Photo provided by Malorie McGee

Photo provided by Malorie McGee

A recent Alumnus from the Dance/Movement Therapy & Counseling program, Malorie McGee has been making the most of her first year out in the “real world” after just recently walking in May of 2014. Her summer consisted of acquiring a full time job, working towards her R-DMT, and continuing to write her thesis. All-in-all, Malorie is a great example of how the DMT&C program continues to serve its post-grads!

Photo provided by Malorie McGee

Photo provided by Malorie McGee

“I remember who I was before the program, and seeing where I am now—I’ve never felt more like myself.”

Malorie was recently hired at Riveredge Hospital, a facility rooted in highly individualized treatment, focused on treating the whole person. As stated in their mission statement, “We strive to foster an environment that demonstrates compassion and caring with timely and effective communication through comprehensive behavioral health care services of clinical excellence.” Riveredge is also fortunate enough to have their very own Expressive Arts Therapy department where they provide Art, Drama, and Dance/Movement Therapy to their inpatient population. Mallory has had the opportunity to work with their expressive therapies team, providing dance/movement therapy services throughout the hospital. Coincidentally enough, Riveredge Hospital was the location where Malorie did her summer practicum two years ago. This is a great example of how the Dance/Movement Therapy & Counseling program continues to provide opportunities for its graduate students!

“I love everything about my new job. I just really really adore the patients, especially those within the intellectual disabilities unit. Some of the patients are deaf, and I have been able to use my knowledge of sign language as a helpful tool.“

Photo provided by Malorie McGee

Photo provided by Malorie McGee

Malorie is still currently working on her thesis, and is on track to becoming an R-DMT (registered dance/movement therapist). Her original goal was to have her thesis completed early. However, Malorie admitted that it was difficult to balance real life with the difficult task of writing a thesis. She stated that it is much harder when you aren’t in the grad school bubble anymore, and she needed to learn how to be okay with extending her deadline another semester in order to take care of herself, and allow the process to unfold naturally. Currently her new goal is to have her thesis completed by May of 2015.

“As I work and gain more clinical experience, I’m feeling more inspired to write my thesis”

Photo provided by Malorie McGee

Photo provided by Malorie McGee

Malorie believes that Columbia College Chicago provided her with an ample amount of experience in order to do the work that she does at Riveredge Hospital today. She feels prepared and confident enough in her abilities to succeed in the field because of the program. She believes that it opened her up to more therapeutic styles and provided her with a huge bag of tricks, widening her range of creativity. Malorie also stated that she’s so incredibly thankful for the endless support that she still receives from her cohort.

“I will forever be indebted to Columbia’s ability to really help me find the best qualities of myself, not only to be a better person, but to become the best I can possibly be as a dance/movement therapist.”