Surf’s up

Surf’s up

We’re a few more weeks into summer now and things have been pretty busy around here. My wife is taking a couple of summer courses at her graduate school and I’m enjoying my time as full time stay at home dad. The weather has done what Chicagoland weather does these last few days and it’s been hot, humid, and then thunderstormy. It’s time for a change of scenery.

My parents recently moved to the coast in North Carolina and we’re going. For a month. A month! I’m using this time with live-in childcare to actually get some work done. I love my kiddos, but I’ll be honest with you, since their schools have let out, I haven’t had much time to myself to get any work done. I’m bringing my giant suitcase of supplies along on this trip and I intend on getting things done.

What’s in store? New drawings, obviously. What else? More video pieces. I had such a great time shooting and editing the couple that I did at the end of Spring Semester, I feel like I need to keep investigating that path. My guitar is coming along for the ride too and I am hoping to record something with my daughter. I go back and watch this video as motivation every once in a while. I hope it works out, but if it doesn’t, the attempts should be interesting either way.

Preparation for the trip has been pretty fun too. We’ve been abusing the library, stocking up on books and music, especially music, for the drive down. I found out that our library caps you off at 30 requested items at a time. Yeah, we’re that serious about doing this trip as cheaply as possible. I’ve also got books 2 and 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire to read on the beach (!!!) since we are all caught up on Game of Thrones episodes and I can’t wait for a whole year.

Next week is going to be filled with laundry and cleaning around the apartment. And packing. And packing. And unpacking because I know my daughter is going to try and pack more toys and stuffed animals than clothes. Also, in keeping the theme of trying to keep everything as cost effective as possible, strategic grocery shopping will be happening: making sure to bring along enough car friendly snacks to make the two day drive down there, while trying to stay as healthy as possible.

Right now, I’m in the “I can’t wait to go, let’s go right now” stage of planning, because we all just lived throughout the worst winter ever and I think we all deserve beaches and oceans and a hammock (yes there is a hammock!). I will do my best to live it up for all of us. I’m willing to make this sacrifice guys. Next time, watch for the updates on how badly I burn and why I’m ready to go home. Seriously though people, sunscreen.