Theatre as Teacher

Theatre as Teacher

Good Night Ladies present

The theatre can be a magical place. A place where the imagination can run wild and dreams you only thought  possible in your mind can be created onstage merely through words and creativity. I have been a fan of the theatre and the arts since high school and as I mature and grow I am realizing more and more the role and responsibility the arts play in my life, especially the art of theatre.

Being an artist allows you the opportunity to truly include who you are in the work you create. There are not many professions that allow this level of personal freedom for the work. Using a piece of you to create work is a blessing and a curse. The blessing comes from being able to constantly learn more about yourself as an individual and member of society through working and collaborating with fellow artists. There is no greater triumph than failing and making it to the other side stronger and more fearless than before. One of my best teachers is art.

Photo by: Shepsu Aakhu

Photo by: Shepsu Aakhu

The curse of being an artist is feeling completely responsible for everything you create and placing a part of you on a platter for the world to see and critique. But, this curse can also turn into something beautiful depending on how you look at it. As I enter my last semester of Grad School I hope I can learn to look at everything with a sense of beauty. Being an artist can be frightening, but I now know that I cannot be afraid of my art and talent, they are the tools to help me blossom.